point setting 1959 3HP

I put in my new points and condenser last night and I am still not getting any spark. I still have juice at the plug wire but no spark coming from the plug. The plug is new so I know it is not that. Do I just need to set my points on my engine? I have never set the points on a small engine so I am kind of lost. I just moved my condencer up untill there was a small gap between the points and the condencer. Any tips or help would be appreciated! Thanks

I just read somewhere else that the gap for the magneto needs to be arounf .10 and the points need to be set for .20. Does that sound right? at what point do you check your points? Do I turn the flywheel until that plunger is all of the way down and then set the point gap? Thanks again

Last edited:

zeeman

Mountain, if you need any specific information about that engine, check out a book Briggs sells called Repairman's Handbook. It covers engines from 1919 to 1981. Very handy at times.

I got the points set but I am still not getting any sprk out of the plug. I tried a new plug wire and that didn't help. Looks like I am going to get a new coil and see if that does the trick.

oldfatguy

Set the gap at .020 , The points need to close and make contact when the plunger moves down. Make sure that the points are clean with no oil or grease on the contacts, let the points close on a piece of folded up paper then slide it out to clean the contacts. Next check the wire from the points to make sure the insulation is good and it's not grounding. Same with the coil wire. You will need to spin the engine with the pull start because turning the flywheel by hand may not be enough.. The easiest way to know if there is anything happening at the plug is to turn the flywheel by hand and see if you feel any sign of juice going to the plug. Don't pull the engine over without the coil wire able to arc to ground because you will ruin the coil. also make sure that your flywheel key is good and the correct one. If you can't find a four post coil a newer 2 post will fit. I fix the old points by taking them lightly on the bench grinder to clean up the contacts . Clean the grease and rust off the coil too .

jim210

Oem briggs points come with a plastic tool in the set that allows you to compress the spring with one hand. You might be able to make a tool from the back cap of a pen. Cut a v across the bottom so you can slide the wire in when the spring is compressed. Install the wire with the condenser off of the engine. You can do it with plain old needle nose too but it might take a few tries. I can still remove and install valve springs with two screwdrivers just as fast as I can with the tool.

1959 is about the time they changed from the old 4 post coil to the newer 2 post style. The flywheel magnets are different. I haven't been able to get a new coil to work with the old flywheel.

18-20 for points, good rule of thumb is to take the thin metal band on the old point set and use it as a feeler gauge for the new set. also, when setting coil on flywheel, I always use a piece of notebook paper between magnet on flywheel and coil, then tighten down and then rotate the paper out of the way when done.
this has worked for me for 35+ years.

oldfatguy

the 59 briggs 4 post coil will throw a hotter spark then the newer coils. clean everything real good then set the gap and it should make a spark. I never had one that wouldn't work after that and I never buy new points, I just clean the old ones.

Yeah thats a GOOD POINT!!!

The 50's engines used an uluminum looking flywheel with TWO MAGNETS in the flywheel.. If you have that flywheel.. YOU NEED TO HAVE the 4 post coil.. OR a newer flywheel..

Then like was stated above.. wipe a dollar bill through the closed points to clean off any grime that you CAN'T SEE BUT IS THERE.. :laugh:

and make sure all of the parts clean and grounded together.. Coil grounded to he block... Condenser grounded good.. No worn wires..