Powdercoating

Approx how much should it cost for powdercoating a typical mini-bike frame?
If the frame needs sandblasting what should be the approx cost. I know that there are contributing factors but I am just looking for a ballpark figure so I don't get riped too badly! Also, I live in SoCal if that makes a difference. Thanks! Bill

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
Naw lots of people like the way powercoat last a whole lot longer than paint. All the fast guys use it out here, except me. I prefer bare metal, and save the money for better parts.

They usually charge from $60-$130 bucks out here. Depending on size, and how many parts need it. These guys have a lot of extras sometimes like blower housings, rims, chain guards, axles, and sometimes even a engine part.

Last edited:
So far, It looks like you all prefer paint over powdercoat. I know that powdercoat is more durable, but it will scrape off just like paint, correct? I mean, it's not as bulletproof as powdercoaters make out, right? I am also thinking about the logic of putting a (approx) $100 powdercoat job on a $40 mini-bike. Also, Krylon is coming out with some really cool colors for only $2.97 at Walmart. Thanks guys and all input is appreciated! Bill

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
It's way stronger than paint. Not bullet proof
But even if you put 2 coats of primer, 5 coats of paint, and 2 of clear it will still not be as strong as powdercoat.

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
Checkout these two very clean powercoat job my buddy has.
And there still this clean to date, and the pictures is about 3 years old.
The best thing about the powercoat is that it doesn't just rubb off real easy like paint does with gas, alky, or oil is on it.

You can't say that those bikes don't look bitchin! And then your time is worth money as well. $100 is probably well worth it in the long run when you consider stripping or sandblasting, sanding, painting, etc.

jeep4me

Alot of the places around my area charge $40 to sandblast and $80 to powdercoat. Pay in cash up front and most will have your stuff ready in a day or two.

My latest project was a little more than that but I had alot more parts.

Powder coat is very durable and I have a few bikes that came that way, the draw back is being able to patch pit's a dings and P-coat over pitting looks like ass. A powder coat guy told me theres a patching that works reasonably well but he didn't sound happy with it. Another problem is touch up so there are +'s and -'s to both.

Cost depends on your area , I blasted one bike myself and then found a local place to do it from now on. Why? because it's not worth doing it yourself at these prices!!!!!!!!

A local powder coating place says they go by how much fits on a rack but a whole bike sound like $80-$90 (worth it too) So if you have a bike in great shape and no pitting or patching, I would say go for it.

Blasting was for one complete Taco ST 100 and wheels, a Bonanza frame and two Bonanza forks.NOT worth getting dirty! :eek:ut:

Last edited:
We had a good sand blast shop in Hillsboro but they closed up because of outsourcing the product that kept the doors open.
I bought my own HF cabinet and it works great for the price. But it's all in the compressor's CFM delivery . I have a single stage 3 cylinder 80 gallon that works real well .
Steve :scooter:

I paid $75 to have my rupp powdercoated. That was the frame,forks,swingarm,kickstand. I also paid $65 to have the frame blasted and was not worth it since the local guy took forever to get to it, Never again :hammer: So I just bought a pressure blaster at my local farm store cheap! and made a better gun for it. Now I can blast just about anything I need too and it paid for itself the first time I used it and I can get free black beauty media (coal slag) for free... plus blasting is fun! :thumbsup: I also have a blast cabinet for smaller parts that I use glass beads in.

I dont know what the deal is but no body around here would touch mine for those prices. I did have several parts, rims, shocks, fenders, blowercover. All of the red on mine had to have 2 coats though. They did all if the blasting too. My blower cover was 2 colors too and my rims were 3 pieces because of the star thing on them.

The powder coat jobs on my Vintage Schwinn cruiser's Typhoon 1962 and Fleet 1964 were both powder coated in Black and had a Varathane clear over the top of the Schwinn decals. In the depth of the shine you can see the rough surface that could have possibley been scuffed first. They just don't look to me as good as a $200.00 Automotive metallic surface. I did myself with etching primer, high build primer, expensive rattle can Automotive paint, and red dot, bottom catalist injected high gloss clear color sanded and buffed. Yes, I wore a mask. It was a Ronald Reagan mask. Powder coar is more durable, less desireable in my own opinion. If you going to use and abuse it. Powder coat. If you want pearl show quaility. Spend spend spend. Not for a $40.00 dollar mini bike. Come on that would not be good judgement.

Paint remains soft for years. Installing a simple kill button on the handlebars caused havoc. That is the downside of paint. It's soft like a **** ****.! :censure:

TT

Last edited: