Powell Challenger Resto

Hey Guys, Let me introduce my self I am Mike palmgren this is my first time posting on here . I own Vintage motorsports I do mainly off road restorations , tons of 3 wheel ATCs and MX bikes and have been doing more and more mini bikes. i have a powell challenger that is just about done that i am building for my good friend Rich Winkler owner of dirt wurx the supercross track designing and builder for all the pro AMA supercross. I wanted to put this out there as i am looking for the correct rated spring for the swing arm , the one I have in there now is the one that came with the bike but it is way to soft i cant literally push the bike up and down with my finger. If anyone has a correct spring or knows where to get one with the correct spring rate i would greatly appreciate it . Also If anybody is looking for one I am having a mold made right now to start making clutch covers in fiberglass for this model should be done in the next month or so . Thanks in advance Mike

Attachments

CarPlayLB

I used two springs in my Powell to support my large exterior! I used a very heavy spring inside the original spring...works great now. I never had any luck finding the right OEM spring

Sweet Powell dude , my brothers and I have a few of these bikes , we also had an E when we were kids . I myself have a E model .
Can you post a close up pic of how the Powell spark arester is mounted to the TEC muffler .

Last edited:
I will take a picture at the shop tommorow of the muffler setup it basically is a clamps that wraps around the stock tec muffler, and the powell spark arrester has 2 nubs that lock it into the holes on the outlet of the muffler .

6doggie3

Thanks for starting a tread Powell looks Killer!
I'm still trying to find a few springs my self?
Is the drive belt new and can post brand and
# on the belt? Thanks , Michael

If anyone has a correct spring or knows where to get one with the correct spring rate i would greatly appreciate it .
Mike, I got a replacement from MinibikePaul. paul@minibikepaul.com It's powder coated and fits very well. I will use it without a center spring. As Carplay said above, some of us use a smaller center spring to create a variable rate absorber that wont bottom. I measured mine. 4.3" long, spring wire is .288, OD is 1.5, ID is 1.0. Paul might have others, or know where the source was.

Can you post a close up pic of how the Powell spark arrester is mounted to the TEC muffler .
David, the "L" Tecumseh exhaust end slides between the "U" bracket and the Powell muffler, and is then compressed by two 5/16 allen head bolts. The U shaped bit attaches to the head bolt on the HS- in my case with a small spacer. There are different L style exhausts. One of them has more holes than the other, so I had to do some filling of one row, and drilling of another row to get the spacing right. Otherwise, I'd be blowing exhaust against the Powell piece. And yes, it leaks.

Is the drive belt new and can post brand and # on the belt? Thanks , Michael
Michael, I posted the original numbers (that work) in my other thread as Hi Power II B 31. (21/32 width) That is for the original driver and pulley set up. If you look at Mike's photo above, it shows he is using a Comet 40 series driver. It is 7/8 width, and too wide for the Powell pulley. Mike might have installed a 40 series driven?

Thanks Dave for the info . I have the spark arester and the original muffler but they didn't seem to bolt together . Now a have to look for that bracket .

Dave has some mighty purdy hands...huh? I think he used to be a hand model!:thumbsup:
Thanks! I send photos of my hands to women on the internet to get dates. Of course that is much easier then stumbling into the garage at 6:30 AM, grabbing my spring, exhaust, and caliper to help some folks on the internet. I ought to get dates for that too, but I cant even score a Powell throttle for it. :thumbsup:

T-Town Mini

Hey Guys, Let me introduce my self I am Mike palmgren this is my first time posting on here . I own Vintage motorsports I do mainly off road restorations , tons of 3 wheel ATCs and MX bikes and have been doing more and more mini bikes. i have a powell challenger that is just about done that i am building for my good friend Rich Winkler owner of dirt wurx the supercross track designing and builder for all the pro AMA supercross. I wanted to put this out there as i am looking for the correct rated spring for the swing arm , the one I have in there now is the one that came with the bike but it is way to soft i cant literally push the bike up and down with my finger. If anyone has a correct spring or knows where to get one with the correct spring rate i would greatly appreciate it . Also If anybody is looking for one I am having a mold made right now to start making clutch covers in fiberglass for this model should be done in the next month or so . Thanks in advance Mike
That's a beautiful job on the Powell :thumbsup:

Thanks! I send photos of my hands to women on the internet to get dates. Of course that is much easier then stumbling into the garage at 6:30 AM, grabbing my spring, exhaust, and caliper to help some folks on the internet. I ought to get dates for that too, but I cant even score a Powell throttle for it. :thumbsup:
Yea them darn Powell throttle are hard to come by . Now I know two people that have them , my brother has two but will not get off them and I have tried for you Dave . Minibike P has the last known to man NOS Powell throttle , he payed stupid money for it . And he could have more . Doesn't hurt to ask .

Yea them darn Powell throttle are hard to come by . Now I know two people that have them , my brother has two but will not get off them and I have tried for you Dave . Minibike P has the last known to man NOS Powell throttle , he payed stupid money for it . And he could have more . Doesn't hurt to ask .
Oh yeah, I asked him too. Offered stupid money. Not happening. ;) Not worth it to me all the way around. I do appreciate you asking though David. The fact that I cant get a Powell throttle is saving me from having to do an accurate restoration.