Powell question

I have a Powell Challanger and was wondering what keeps the torque converter from loosening on the shaft since it has right hand threads, seems like when the motor turns it would loosen? I really don't want to get hit by 2 pounds of flying steel. Thanx

If your worried about the bolt coming out put a drop of loctite on it
ok, thanx...I think mine must be broken then because the keyway is at the back half of the pulley and it is seperated from the front half of the pulley where the ball bearings are housed, is that how it's supposed to be?

it is supposed to be like that
the back half of the pulley has a keyway on the top of the sleeve as well but the front half has no keyway to hold it as you slide the housing over the shaft, in otherwords it seems to free wheel, I wonder if I'm missing a piece?

the back half of the pulley has a keyway on the top of the sleeve as well but the front half has no keyway to hold it as you slide the housing over the shaft, in otherwords it seems to free wheel, I wonder if I'm missing a piece?
Once it is all bolted down tight it can't go anywhere.. It will tighten against the bushing the pulley halves ride on.. It has to be able to move, thats how they work... The nut or bolt can't come out being right hand thread.. If ya look at the system working, the rotation is counter clockwise so it is constantly turning the nut or bolt tight..

Once it is all bolted down tight it can't go anywhere.. It will tighten against the bushing the pulley halves ride on.. It has to be able to move, thats how they work... The nut or bolt can't come out being right hand thread.. If ya look at the system working, the rotation is counter clockwise so it is constantly turning the nut or bolt tight..
Thanx Restore Kid and James C, I'll give it whirl this weekend and see what happens, I'm missing the little clutch springs that go on the outside, wondering if I can find something in similar size that will replace them and still have functionality??

james c

sounds like a horstman, you will need a spring, go to a hardware store with the clutch and get that spring. more firm will engage at higher rpm, lower firmness will engage earlier.
no spring? diasaster!

sounds like a horstman, you will need a spring, go to a hardware store with the clutch and get that spring. more firm will engage at higher rpm, lower firmness will engage earlier.
no spring? diasaster!
Don't need any disasters that's for sure, I appreciate the good folks on this site.

Thanx, Jim