Powerdyne power-dyne rail chopper

Picked up this Powerdyne "Rail" a few months ago here in NJ. I probably paid too much for it ($275) , but I really like the stance of this little chopper and I avoided the $150 shipping fee since it was right down the road. My son and I are starting the resto and I thought I'd post up some before and after pics for the sake of future reference. Aside from the fuel tank it appears to be mostly original. Mag wheels, oversize rear tire, uses an old Kelsey-Hayes mechanical disc brake caliper (not shown) with the rear sprocket acting as the rotor. Faded and brittle gold sparkle Mesinger seat looks like it could be original to the bike as well as the little rear reflector . Front forks, springs, sissy bar and rear fender all have old peeling chrome. Toggle switch on top of the fork tree might have been a kill switch or headlight switch at one time. I know some of the details don't jive perfectly with the sales brochure but I would imagine they may have varied slightly over time as suppliers changed.....if anything was changed on this bike it was done a LONG time ago.
Any additional info or input is welcome. I can post some progress photos if there's interest.
-Kid

Last edited:
Oh yeah kid, ya got a really nice Project going on there. What kind of motor are ya thinking about putting in there? Keep us posted with lots of pictures of your progress. :thumbsup: :biggrin:

Oh yeah kid, ya got a really nice Project going on there. What kind of motor are ya thinking about putting in there? Keep us posted with lots of pictures of your progress. :thumbsup: :biggrin:
...looking for an early (white) Techumseh 3 or 3-1/2 hp as pictured on the flyer...hint hint :rolleyes:

anyone who can hook me up please PM me...Thanks!!

I had one of these when I was a kid. Traded a go cart for it. Really nice riding bike:thumbsup: and pretty big too. Could cruise to the store with a buddy on the back.

That's a awesome bike, when it's done it'll look bas a$$. I am figuring on building a homemade version of something like that. Goog luck with yur new project. :thumbsup:

zeeman

Kustom, that first chopper is going to be nice! Sound like you have some potential buyers too if you ever want to sell it. I always wanted one as a kid, and all my friends knew it. They would play mean tricks on me like saying I needed to stay home Saturday because some guys were bringing one over for me to look at. Of course they never came. Bad boys! Keep us posted.

Ok it's a nasty/rainy day out today...perfect time to finally update my progress on this chopper....

When it comes to paint, there was nobody like my buddy Stan Betz in Orange, CA. For 50 years he operated Betz Speed and Color...punching louvers, color matching, and mixing custom colors for everyone from Von Dutch to George Barris to Larry Watson to Chip Foose. At 80 years old he finally closed the doors a couple of years ago but before he did I asked him to mix me up one more "special". My only instruction was to give it a "real 60's vibe !". He came up with this really wild purple loaded with pearl that changes it's tone depending on the type or amout of light it's in.
I decided to shoot it on this Powerdyne Rail and I think it turned out pretty nice. I've got a sweet vintage 3-1/2 Tec for it and I'll add some fine pinstripes, a sparkle seat, and a custom made fork plate with the Betz Speed & Color logo as a nod to my old pal Stanley.
Try as I might I could not get a photo that showed the fine pearl in it, so you'll have to take my word till I get it bolted together and rolled outside...:scooter:

Ok it's a nasty/rainy day out today...perfect time to finally update my progress on this chopper....

When it comes to paint, there was nobody like my buddy Stan Betz in Orange, CA. For 50 years he operated Betz Speed and Color...punching louvers, color matching, and mixing custom colors for everyone from Von Dutch to George Barris to Larry Watson to Chip Foose. At 80 years old he finally closed the doors a couple of years ago but before he did I asked him to mix me up one more "special". My only instruction was to give it a "real 60's vibe !". He came up with this really wild purple loaded with pearl that changes it's tone depending on the type or amout of light it's in.
I decided to shoot it on this Powerdyne Rail and I think it turned out pretty nice. I've got a sweet vintage 3-1/2 Tec for it and I'll add some fine pinstripes, a sparkle seat, and a custom made fork plate with the Betz Speed & Color logo as a nod to my old pal Stanley.
Try as I might I could not get a photo that showed the fine pearl in it, so you'll have to take my word till I get it bolted together and rolled outside...:scooter:

That's gonna be sweet!

I didn't know Stan well, but what a NICE guy...never saw him without those white overalls...he mixed up an orange for a client of mine's kart that would fry your eyeballs!!! He is missed...

Nice looking job Kustom Kart, can't wait to see it together

I didn't know Stan well, but what a NICE guy...never saw him without those white overalls...
you're right...a nicer guy you will never meet and the white overalls were his trademark although you could hardly tell they were white through all the paint spots :laugh:

Nice looking job Kustom Kart, can't wait to see it together
thanks, the warm weather has me motivated again ...updates to follow :thumbsup:

zeeman

Is it finished yet? Just kidding. Looking real good there. I'm interested in seeing what decals you use, if any, on that H25!