Pred engine flooding issues

Ok hello to you all. this is my first post. I consider myself a very good home mech. I have pulled trans and engines, BUT OMG this pred engine is driving me nuts.
history:
I got a go cart from a friend, for a father son project. It has a pred 212 engine. It fires up on the first few pulls, but would only run when in the full choke position, even with the throttle wide open, but slide it into the run position and spit, spit, DIE...so I pulled of the carb and cleaned it the best I could. Put it back on and Now it runs fine in the run position idles good to THAT PROBLEM SOLVED :), but the moment you press the peddle (or give it gas) the spit, spit DIE problem is back.. What the heck. The carb on it is not Ajustable. so whats going on.

Secondly, when its idling I feel a lot of air flow coming from the location between the OHV cover and the carb. Is this normal.the air flow is STRONG ,but not hot air. its like a small computer fan.the air is coming from the red area and is strongest at the location between the value cover and carb test.jpg

Last edited:
nope that was not it. I relocate the spring no improvement. the throttle shaft now rests against the idle spring. it really sounds good in the run or choke position, but still dies when you give it gas while in the run position, but put it in the choke position and give it gas and you better get out of the way because it really moves. that just don't seem right. the choke position is all the way to the far left and run is all the way to the far right correct?

It's lean use carb clean In The run position go WOT and give it a spray of she revs you need to reclean the carb try using oxyacetylene cleaning tool to clear the jets

Sent from my iPhone using Mores code

thanks guys. I don't get home until its dark so I have been nickel and diming the small stuff at night. we got the new belt today so I put that on and let the kids test ride it a little. so they would leave me alone about lol. anyway ill look into that carb one more time tomorrow. looks like I can pick up those Oxy acetylene torch tip cleaning tools at home depot.

OK That new belt is TIGHTTTTTT. to tight for my taste. it took off once I started it. is there away to adjust the tension at the axle pully? Im going to google it.

has anyone every jerry rigged the brake, so that you could use regular brake pads? or do I have to order those pads? this may be a mute point if I can reduce the tension on the belt. any thought?

rev? I don't understand that question
as for the carb cleaner, well im using auto zone brand.

Last edited:
you know what I order the belt per the owners manual. but that was with a tec. engine. is the belt size different since the original owners did an engine swap?

ok could not stand it any longer so I went out and messed around. I did take another look at the carb jet and tube. cleaned them out with some wire I had. it was blind luck I found the right diameter. anyway cleaned them out and TAAAA DAAAA it know runs in the run position. as for the belt. well I have room to slide the motor back as much as 1" so I will slide that back about 1/4" at a time until I get the tire to stop turning when its idling. :clap:

Oxy acetylene torch tip cleaning tools for cleaning carb jets?
I like it.

What is she revs? Is it a carb cleaner?
Sorry was typing In a hurry
She revs refers to the engine rpm climbing when sprayed with carb clean through the air cleaner (air filter removed) at WOT

Sent from my iPhone using Mores code