Predator 99cc change-over

It's begun!
I picked up a HF Predator 99cc last night for $79 + tax and changed the motors out today. I did give the 97cc another chance, but couldn't keep it running well. The 99cc so far has been a straight bolt up replacement.
What a difference! I still have to take a few links out of the chain, put the clutch on, and hook up the throttle, but it sure is nice to pull the string and the engine actually starts and keeps running - smoothly even. It will be a couple of days before I'll be able to finish the conversion, but I'm definitely looking forward to riding "Doodle". My daughter, the actual owner who named this little beast, is eagerly anticipating daddy's finish as well.
More to come!

Actually, after looking at it I will be surpirsied if the clutch lines up with the sprocket. Me thinks a movement of about an inch or two to the left will be required.

Last edited:
A good choice for replacement. I have wondered if the little Predator was a bolt and go deal, I didn't think the clutch would work being metric though. Doesn't the Predator have a 5/8" crank?

Post pics and welcome!:thumbsup:

Run it some then change the oil after it beaks in. You'll probably have a few metallic specks in the oil. It is nice to yank the cord and it fire up first or second pull.

I did drain the shipping oil - it was some pretty nasty looking stuff.

After pulling out a straight edge it looks like the clutch will line up the way it is. The only current issue is the bolt for the shaft is 5/16" instead of what the DB had originally. After hearing issues about the 5/8" / 16mm shaft I was worried that the clutch wouldn't fit without some sort of modification. It slid right on. As soon as I get the bolt (and the linkage) I'll be able to go for a ride.

Think i used my stock doodlebug (metric )clutch on my tescumech 3 hp 5/8 shaft. The shaft was a little rusty so the clutch fit snugg. Never had an issue.
Or maybe i used the 5/8 clutch on my stock doodlebug motor.lol
A good choice for replacement. I have wondered if the little Predator was a bolt and go deal, I didn't think the clutch would work being metric though. Doesn't the Predator have a 5/8" crank?

Post pics and welcome!:thumbsup:

Plan "B".
Mine is slightly different than the one pictured. The one in the picture apparently has a remote tank not to mention the throttle set-up for the carb is slightly different. I'll have some time Friday - hopefully get it hammered out then.

Success! Or a moderate amount anyway.
I messed around with the linkage set-up and where it may not be "correct", it's working. I'll be fiddling with it to see what else can be done to loosen it up a bit. It's pretty tight.
Past that, the 99cc Predator makes that little Doodlebug humm. I even screwed in the throttle screw a bit because I thought it might be a bit much for my daughter.

I just picked up one for my son's mini bike. The clutch slipped right on, must have did some changes at the factory.

Here is a mock-up before we really get into it.

The kill switch fell right out, but I should be able to fix that or use the one I have :)

Last edited:

scootercat

Eazy fix WingingIt74,run the kill sw. to the wire from the old sw. and put a little chrome plug from the hardware store in the hole....Scootercat....