predator hemi mudmotor build - break in hot case?

First, thanks for all the great info. This forum has been my no. 1 source for info for this project, and i had minimal experience in 4-stroke small motos before this.

I have built a hemi 212 for use on a mudmotor and have a few questions i can't seem to find answered in searches, and I am open to any suggestions for this project. The goals are low-RPM, high torque, reliability.

Currently installed:
bored .625 honda carb
NR open intake filter & cheep-o breather filter
Robertson torque tube loop header with RVL muffler
NR 280-211 cam :devil2:
MILDLY ported and hand-polished head - DIY
.010 stainless head gasket
removed governor and low oil sensor
4 deg. timing key
18lb springs

waiting for tuning:
140 emulsion tube
various jets
fancy sparkplug
???

initial questions are:
- How hot is this crank case supposed to get? It seemed to get real hot in the fort 20 min break-in run, but i'm not sure if its just in my head. Seemed hotter then the dirtbike crank cases i'm used to dealing with (over 10 years ago). Checked plug; does not look lean.

- How can i quiet down this RLV muffler? all searches lead to steelwool, and i'm over the water so sparks are not a concern. Just wondering if there is a better option.

- I know my weak point in the rod and flywheel; will the honda GX flyweel work on the predator 60363? i need to keep a high mass flywheel for chewing through stuff on the river. Max RPM should not go over 5K - as soon as i see 5K i am at least replacing the rod.

any other recommendations for low rpm torque? break-in? I have a break in additive in the oil and will switch to synthetic after the first change

thanks all.

3rd run went well, not as hot, drained the oil and it smelt a little burnt. Plug still looks good, checked flywheel and timing key and the key looked warn weird, flywheel may have slipped some.

Going to order a new 4 degree key and gaskets, will send a 8 degree key and a used plug to anyone who can tell me if the honda flywheel will fit this motor. Thanks

65ShelbyClone

If the flywheel slips, the timing will retard and make the exhaust temp go WAY up....enough to burn off header paint. Since your engine is in a boat and will see high load conditions a lot, I would be conservative with an advanced key.

As for case/oil temps, can't really tell anything without an actual number or symptoms of it being too high. A photo of the plug coloring would help.

And no, a GX200 flywheel will not fit a hemi Predator. They use one interchangeable with a Kohler CH270 for some strange, yet distinctly Chinese reason.