pvl flywheel for a flathead???

CarPlayLB

why? Just buy the regular wheel and buy a new coil! The PVL stuff is very expensive. Unless you need every ounce of power for your Jr Dragster, you will never notice a difference...it may make you faster 'cause your wallet is lighter!

Can some one explain what PVL is for my knowledge
PVL ignition is digital, not analog. Magneto ignition is analog.

Analog or Magneto ignition will retard spark at high RPMs, that is why timing is advanced at idle, so that at high RPMs the spark will not be retarded.
PVL or digital ignition will not retard at high RPMs so the spark advance at idle and at high RPM operation is exactly the same.
Also PVL will give a rev limiter where magneto does not. Magneto spark at the high RPMs is also inconsistent, at least compared to PVL.

Here is a graph that shows it better than I am probably explaining it. lol

PVLTIMINGCURVE

CarPlayLB

PVL ignition is digital, not analog. Magneto ignition is analog.

Analog or Magneto ignition will retard spark at high RPMs, that is why timing is advanced at idle, so that at high RPMs the spark will not be retarded.
PVL or digital ignition will not retard at high RPMs so the spark advance at idle and at high RPM operation is exactly the same.
Also PVL will give a rev limiter where magneto does not. Magneto spark at the high RPMs is also inconsistent, at least compared to PVL.

Here is a graph that shows it better than I am probably explaining it. lol

PVLTIMINGCURVE
good for you rich kids with your $2K Blockzillas...but I don't think a lightly modded 5HP would see the benefit

CarPlayLB

I completely agree with you on this. Even a highly modified engine would see almost no change.
BTW my engine was nowhere near $2k, where do you guys get these numbers? lol
Massacre, we all know you're "bucks deluxe". It's cool bud, we'll still call you "friend"!

Massacre, we all know you're "bucks deluxe". It's cool bud, we'll still call you "friend"!
Ouch!
I prefer to call it "financially committed to winning" but whatever you guys have to tell yourselves. lol

The PVL ignition is very expensive and not suitable for 99.9% of the minibikes out there. I happen to own one of the .1% of bikes that could take advantage of it, and if it weren't for the rev limiter feature of the PVL, I would run a regular magneto.
Say what you want about expensive parts, but I like to protect mine. Spending several hundred dollars to protect several thousand dollars worth of parts doesn't sound crazy to me. In fact it sounds like sound reasoning.
Put it this way: the last time I over-revved my engine, it cost me more to fix than the PVL costs. Am I missing something here?

Ouch!
I prefer to call it "financially committed to winning" but whatever you guys have to tell yourselves. lol

The PVL ignition is very expensive and not suitable for 99.9% of the minibikes out there. I happen to own one of the .1% of bikes that could take advantage of it, and if it weren't for the rev limiter feature of the PVL, I would run a regular magneto.
Say what you want about expensive parts, but I like to protect mine. Spending several hundred dollars to protect several thousand dollars worth of parts doesn't sound crazy to me. In fact it sounds like sound reasoning.
Put it this way: the last time I over-revved my engine, it cost me more to fix than the PVL costs. Am I missing something here?
When you over reved your motor , exactly what parts did you tear up ???? And is this on a OHV or Jr drag motor ?

When you over reved your motor , exactly what parts did you tear up ???? And is this on a OHV or Jr drag motor ?
It is a jr drag flathead. I needed new valves, springs and new rod, rings & hone. Woodruff key on sprocket hub backed out and hub was spinning on axle, motor revved over 12k, valves touched head and rod bearing kaput.

Edited sorry guys

Last edited:
It is a jr drag flathead. I needed new valves, springs and new rod, rings & hone. Woodruff key on sprocket hub backed out and hub was spinning on axle, motor revved over 12k, piston touched valves and rod bearing kaput.
Would the PVL ignition have started chopping spark at a predetermined setting to prevent the 12K surge? As an aside, even if you're set 9K rev limit, going from max torque at 8K to no-load max rev of 9K (just a scenario here) would be catastrophic as well.

I don't even rev engines without a clutch on them, much less run them with no load at governed speeds.

CarPlayLB

It is a jr drag flathead. I needed new valves, springs and new rod, rings & hone. Woodruff key on sprocket hub backed out and hub was spinning on axle, motor revved over 12k, piston touched valves and rod bearing kaput.
Piston touched valves on a flathead?:eek:ut:

Sorry valves touched head

My bad was rushing out the door and typing at same time, I edited the original post.

I don't rev these either with no load, I was making a run at the time when the keyway backed out the motor over spun. Happened about half track, as simple as that. Same as would probably happen if a chain broke maybe?

Last edited:

CarPlayLB

Benny, by the time you buy the wheel and the coil the cost is a bit greater than just the billet flywheel. The PVL stuff is very nice though! Maybe the highest quality small engine stuff out there!
What mods have you done to your engine?

Eric you of all people should know! The heavy springs you sent with the retainers, the cam you sent, an arc rod, going to be a billet flywheel ive decided, had the eyebrows shaved, head milled, ported intake and exhaust.