Ran fine now no spark??

I have a 1970 2 HP Briggs and Stratton. It ran fine. I took it out of my MX Duster and cleaned it pulled the recoil cover off and put in a new rope. Cleaned carb, painted, changed oil and new plug and oil. Reassemebled and now it wont start. In fact I'm not getting spark? I have tried different plugs and even held the wire to see if it would shock me nothing. I did not touch the coil or flywheel. It does have two wires that goes to a kill switch but those are intact. How much gap should be between the coil and flywheel? I cleaned the rust off the contact edges of the flywheel and that is all. Ideas? Did the coil just die? Make no sense. Good repair manuals for 2 HP motors? How difficult to pull flywheel?

Thanks
Tim
Coos Bay, Oregon
1971 MX Duster
1971 Boonie
2003 Dirt Bug

on the space between the coil and the fly wheel, i usually loosen the coil take a piece of printer paper and fold it over once or twice and put it in between the coil and fly wheel push coil down and tighten coil back up...other than that i would check the flywheel key, and if worse comes to worst put another coil on there and see if thats it...

zeeman

I'm going with sheared pin. It is not all that common, but neither is a coil going bad. It could be that it is grounded somewhere, possibly the kill switch. The flywheel can be real easy, and sometimes they can be real hard to get off. I'm trying to remember how the Briggs is set up, but I have had the magnets on Tecumseh engines come off completely. This will not allow the engine to spark. Now that I re read your post, you say it did not run after taking the cover off, etc., and it was running fine. Most likely not a sheared pin or magnet problem. I change my diagnosis to a short/grounded wire somewhere. Let us know what you find.