rattlecan sound coming from stock 97cc

I have a wierd sound coming from this doodlebug I just got...it revs up nice, but when u let off the gas, it makes a sound similar to a spray paint rattle or as I describe it, it sounds like it detonating....please HELP!!!

I got it used, they guy I got it from ran Avgas in it, if anything it has too much oil, would that cause this? I thought it may be the valves.

All of the heat shields are gone, it sounds like its coming from inside the motor. It doesn't do it when reving up at all, just on the way down the rpms before it returns to idle.

Maybe a baffle inside of the muffler too.
If you are convinced it's in the motor try looking down the spark plug hole at the top of the piston,look for marks on it. If you don't find anything there pull the side cover off.

I'm ready for an upgrade alright, I have an 8 HP Briggs with a TAV goin on it, just waitingfor the cash to get my TAV mounting plate, but need this motor to work for now.
I will try the muffler, as I already looked for signs of damage in the combustion chamber and took the side plate off and the springs were intact.