"Raw Deal" how to make a crappy bike.....worse!

markus

Little more with the engine this afternoon. I picked up some more rattle can clear, cleaned the tins and sprayed them, we just had a coldfront blow through not good for paint so I I went very light so it would not cloud. its still in "mock up" and everything is actually loose, I don't know if I am going to be able to save the coil/points assy due to rust and corrosion. I have to do some digging to see if I can come up with another one, so I am stuck for the time being.

I think I may leave a ratty paint recoil on there instead of trying to polish one up. I thnk the black sort of breaks it up a bit not to mention I done feel like trying to work/polish the tight corners on the feet of the recoil:wink:

I also sanded the edges of the fins on the motor, sorry not the best pic and I gotta scrub the dust off:

gotta start work on the carb detailing, think about an air cleaner and a chrome pipe next!

markus

well I thought I would have "raw deal" wrapped up today. But instead I got just near the finish line, Burned the hell out of the inside of my hand and had to bow out for the day:doah: Been clinching a gel icepack in my hand for most of the day and not able to do much of anything.

Anyway I got most everything done, I finished the carb up and got it installed, I need to lay a weld on the header I made, but I wanted to test to see how it sounded before I make my last german made VW peashooter tip permanent to the pipe...which is sort of how my hand got burned. Mounted the motor to the bike, filled with gas and crossed my fingers.

Fired up easy and is running pretty nice:thumbsup: I was actually surprised because I felt the spark was a bit weak when I tested it. No smoke either:thumbsup: I CAN tell you that the exhaust pipe gets really hot really fast:anon.sml: In my usual moronic fashion without even thinking I grabbed the end of the pipe to see if it was loose or anything wil it was running:censure: That was about it for the day :doah:

Plan was to run the motor a bit, get the oil warm, suck it out and install fresh, chain is ready to install, and for the most part, take it out on the town for a run. I did pull the fenders again. I was going to pick up some epoxy and fix a couple of the crack they have before they get used. I also dug out some old metal ones I was going to experiment with as well.

so a few more days delay

markus

Thanks guys, I'm glad I didn't write this one off and gave it a chance. Not sure how its gonna ride yet, but surpisingly the seating position and handlebar height fit me fine @ 6'. I tweaked carb so the butterly opens up all the way, I advance the timing just a hair above where it was, tweaking the gov a little and of course the open pipe, I'm interested to see if that little 3hp can hold together :laugh:

Great looking bike Marcus. Nice to see how you "saved" another one.Also want to thank you for helping me. I swapped a frame awhile ago and never knew what it was until I saw it on your build. When I first saw it I thought it was so unusual and just had to have it--pulled it out today to start on it--thanks Bill.

That VW peashooter tip looks right. I hope the burn heals up quickly (ouch)

Last December you ID'd the mini I traded for as a Streaker. Had no idea, thought it was a 'lil Indian clone or something. Sure looks different than yours.

I gave it to the daughter (Shopragchick1112) for her Build Off entry. It must be a lot newer model. Your seat is longer, sits on a sheetmetal bracket. Your handlebars are removeable, the front fender has a brace, and the fenders are curved to match the tires. You have a 3 HP Tec and this one has a 3.5 HP Tec. Your brake pedal is on the right, ours is on the left.

The one you saw on CL here locally for a while was the same frame as the daughter's. It was advertised with a 5 HP Briggs, but I thought it had a Tecumseh.

The rims look the same.

Manco must have changed the Streaker frame in the late 80's until it went out of production in the mid 2000's. No solid data to support that theory.

You have a cool little build there!

Jon

markus

I got back in town late last night and my burn luckily is not bad enough to hinder some manual labor. So I got back to work on this bike. I installed a new RLV extreme chain that I did not use on another bike, Worked out the kinks on the chain alignment. fixed up a throttle assy out of used parts, including a cable from a rupp I parted and 2 different throttle assy's. installed a kill button, welded the threaded pipe onto the VW peashooter and reinstalled.

Still starting easy, and runs really nice!:thumbsup: Its a little slow/weak at takeoff-no wheelies, but get up a goes pretty good. First ride was a little scary, It is short. But I have to say after about 2 minutes time I was very comfortable on it, and was winging it hard in the turns and wanting to go faster! OG tires....not so great though, They ride a bit rough from sitting for so long, and a blast down a bumpy dirt road will rattle your teeth out :smile: I drained out the old oil after the run, put in fresh and applied chain wax to the chain while it was hot. Looked over the bike and everything seems to be staying together:thumbsup:

So now I am ready to decide on fenders. have these rigged onto the bike right now just to get a better idea. Plan would be to blast them, and polish the raw steel maybe a weathered yellow stripe going down one side to kinda keep with the specks of yellow left on the frame and then clearcoat. Thinks its worth doing or do you guys think the stock fenders look alright?

stock fenders:

with the steel fenders ( I would problaby bend the front mount down to bring the fender closer to the tire):

Last edited:

markus

I figured since I have a long line of bikes stacking up behind it, not to mention all the ones that were in front of it:doah: I better just button it up! So this morning I dug out my Plastic welder and repaired the fenders as best I could from behind and then hit the backside with semi gloss black. Not my finest work, but they will hold together. I also dug out some some good tires from my stock and swapped them out. I don't like the tread pattern for this bike but I didn't want to wait for tires, and I had no use for these anyway for the time being.

It rides much better on a good set of tires:thumbsup:

Before:

after, still a TURD, but polished up a little:laugh::