Re-plating Rupp TT500 clutch drum

I have an NOS clutch drum, but it had some rust, and I gave it a bath in evaporust, and its just not pretty, and I would like to get re-plated. Any suggestions? IMG_0878.JPG IMG_0879.JPG :confused:

Hello,
I have a NOS 69 2 speed drum. I'll take it into work over the weekend and see what it was plated with. We have an X-ray machine that will tell me exactly what plating chemistry is on it from the factory.
Regards, Joe51

The easiest way to tell is if you rub your fingers on it and it turns blackish, then it's CAD, if not, it's likely clear/blue zinc. More often then not parts were done in zinc back then. Cad is also very expensive these days and hard to find people to do small lots (or any lots), due to EPA and toxicity. It's much easier to find a zinc plater than a CAD plater...ZINC looks better anyway, IMHO.

Almost all hardware on the rupps 70 and prior are cad except for the kickstands which were zinc. Almost all bonanza hardware was cad. Almost all speedway hardware was cad. Not sure about other manufacturers but it seems like cad plating was used more in the 60's and by early-mid 70's it started going to zinc. Cad is more durable than zinc but very toxic and bad for the environment. Luckily I have a friend that does cad plating for a living. cad is a duller whitish silver but will show shinier on a polished or newer metal. zinc is more bright

Almost all hardware on the rupps 70 and prior are cad except for the kickstands which were zinc. Almost all bonanza hardware was cad. Almost all speedway hardware was cad. Not sure about other manufacturers but it seems like cad plating was used more in the 60's and by early-mid 70's it started going to zinc. Cad is more durable than zinc but very toxic and bad for the environment. Luckily I have a friend that does cad plating for a living. cad is a duller whitish silver but will show shinier on a polished or newer metal. zinc is more bright
That is pretty much spot on!! The Benelli's and Broncco's mostly used Zinc. The other thing you didn't mention is that Cad is ALOT more expensive than Zinc. Zinc is fairly cheap these days, esp in bulk. Obviously that's cause CAD is so toxic and the EPA is not a big fan of it. You're right, Cadmium will last a lot longer...

If anyone needs a quote, there is a place we do,business with at work named Cadillac Plating in Warren, MI. They have a Web site if you look them up. We send over bulk parts every so often and for those, they are cheaper than on one might think.