Recommendation for rear shocks for Bonanza BC1200

I am just a big kid, 50yo 6'6" 275lbs. Building my Bonanza to use as a pit bike at race track and light trails, I Have a Subaru 6.5, Comet Torq-a-verter and 8" wheels. Just looking for a setof shocks I wont bottom out simply with my weight but also a set thats not so stiff that they will have no dampening.

Anyone experiment or have any experience with this?

Based on what I have read I am looking for 10-11" eye-to-eye shock with 10mm mount holes. But i have seen shocks ranging from 175-430-650-730 total compression, and some dont even know total compression. Trying to avoidtrial an error.

Seems the Honda XR50 shocks will fit. Have seen Sebac, Showa, YSS and many no name,
Has anybody done this that can narrow my search?

Thanks Guys. Happy Holidays.
Dan

Dan,
We faced the same situation when my son built his Bonanza 1200 a few year ago. We ended up going with these:
Vintage Parts :: Mini Bikes :: Universal Mini Bike :: Chrome coil over shocks mini bike Fox Bonanza - Rt 21 Trading Online Catalog
The OEM Bonanza rear shocks are really whimpy and no where close to being adequate for ANY "adult-sized" rider, much less someone YOUR size. (FYI: I'm 6'1"/285 lbs, and my son is 5' 10"/180 lbs). I would not say that the r21trading shocks were perfect (wish they had more travel), however, they are a definite improvement, and were worth the $. You will need to drill out your upper and lower mounts to 3/8" and install 3/8" bolts (the Bonanza is only 5/16"). You need to be carefull looking for shocks for these bikes as too large (diameter) coil size will hit on your sprocket/chain.
Michael

Thanks. I was actually watching that exact set eBay. Seller stated off a large mooed and would be far better than the stick Bonanza shocks.
Never thought of the spricket clearance issue. My minibike us still in pieces but just gathering parts fir the build.
Do they bottom out when you st 24o# ride?

Anyone one else have any ecoerience with this?
Thanks and happy holidays!!
Dan

george3

Dan,
We faced the same situation when my son built his Bonanza 1200 a few year ago. We ended up going with these:
Vintage Parts :: Mini Bikes :: Universal Mini Bike :: Chrome coil over shocks mini bike Fox Bonanza - Rt 21 Trading Online Catalog
The OEM Bonanza rear shocks are really whimpy and no where close to being adequate for ANY "adult-sized" rider, much less someone YOUR size. (FYI: I'm 6'1"/285 lbs, and my son is 5' 10"/180 lbs). I would not say that the r21trading shocks were perfect (wish they had more travel), however, they are a definite improvement, and were worth the $. You will need to drill out your upper and lower mounts to 3/8" and install 3/8" bolts (the Bonanza is only 5/16"). You need to be carefull looking for shocks for these bikes as too large (diameter) coil size will hit on your sprocket/chain.
Michael
I think these are the same. Compair

Compact Sebac Chrome Coil Over Shocks Mini Bike Fox Bonanza | eBay

Well. Grabbed these Sebac's bc they were the right price and I like that they look closer to the original Bonanza set with enclosed spring. Not sure it will serve my purpose but for $40 shipped needed to give them a try.

Vintage Italian Moped Shocks Sebac Minibike | eBay

Based on the specs:
center to center of eyelets: 12.75"
Shock body O.D.: 1.5" (likely same 1 3/8" spring inside as the set you recommended.)
Lower blk portion : 1.25"
Mounting holes: 10mm

I know they are slightly longer than what we really want (9.75-11") to prvent a raked look but I am converting this BC1100 to a BC1200 so I can weld upper mounts wherever I choose. I would guess the compression on these may be slightly higher since they are designed for an adult moped rather the the 9.75" length shocks that are built likely for minibikes. I could be totally wrong on this but these NOS shocks seemed like a great buy for $40. I am sure I can always get that money back if they do not work out.

Still willing to hear any suggestions from those of you more in the know than me. Grabbed these while I could but willing to purchase the correct set if my thinking was off. Thanks again guys.

Happy Holidays.
Dan

Last edited:
I guess i goofed, LOL. Hopefully can cancel transaction b4 shipped, Consult the guys in the know and pull trigger anyway. My bad.

The two above look identical likely go with name brand, Sure they are strong enough to somewhat support me?
George theywork fine for you? I am same weight just a bit more of me at 6'6" LOL.

I have seen others use the 9 3/4" set ftom BMI kart but say they are too stiff. Total compression 175#.

But if you feel the shocks above will work I will grab the the Sebacs

Thanks for your help ,,,,, and yeah i made a stupid move. Did not realize they were plastic. Other guy selling same set for $89. Should be able to get my money back regardless

Thanks
Dan

Dan

I guess i goofed, LOL. Hopefully can cancel transaction b4 shipped, Consult the guys in the know and pull trigger anyway. My bad.
The two above look identical likely go with name brand, Sure they are strong enough to somewhat support me?
George theywork fine for you? I am same weight just a bit more of me at 6'6" LOL.
Dan
Looks like you need to re-read my post, especially the part about 285 lbs.
Michael

Never did well with reading comprehension. LOL. Even mixed up George and Michael!

Looks like I should just get myself the same set and learn from your efforts.

Thanks for sharing your findings & Merry Christmas!!
It's 61 degrees here. I feel like I am with You guys in California. Wearing shorts on Christmas with A/C on!

Dan

Last edited:
Thanks for your help ,,,,, and yeah i made a stupid move.
You immediately took ownership (I think that the young guys call this "Maning Up"?), and I respect a guy for that. As you are starting to find out, we have many members on this forum that are very knowledgeable and experienced (many much more than myself), who graciously and kindly share their wisdom. Continue to ask questions and ask for help.
Michael

My Christmas shocks are ordered. Even had a sale on Route 21 website and saved $8 over his eBay listing. Thanks for the link.
Figured I would have learned with all the help I received from my classic car website during my restoration. The help you provide us newbies is invaluable.
Thanks again OldMiniBikes wisemen. .... M E R R Y. C H R I S T M A S !!!

Well. Grabbed these Sebac's bc they were the right price and I like that they look closer to the original Bonanza set with enclosed spring. Not sure it will serve my purpose but for $40 shipped needed to give them a try.

Vintage Italian Moped Shocks Sebac Minibike | eBay

Based on the specs:
center to center of eyelets: 12.75"
Shock body O.D.: 1.5" (likely same 1 3/8" spring inside as the set you recommended.)
Lower blk portion : 1.25"
Mounting holes: 10mm

I know they are slightly longer than what we really want (9.75-11") to prvent a raked look but I am converting this BC1100 to a BC1200 so I can weld upper mounts wherever I choose. I would guess the compression on these may be slightly higher since they are designed for an adult moped rather the the 9.75" length shocks that are built likely for minibikes. I could be totally wrong on this but these NOS shocks seemed like a great buy for $40. I am sure I can always get that money back if they do not work out.

Still willing to hear any suggestions from those of you more in the know than me. Grabbed these while I could but willing to purchase the correct set if my thinking was off. Thanks again guys.

Happy Holidays.
Dan
These shocks that you bought are from OldMiniBikes member CarPlayLB. He's a good guy to deal with. They were priced well.

Last edited:

CarPlayLB

These shocks that you bought are from OldMiniBikes member CarPlayLB. He's a good guy to deal with. They were priced well.
Thanks Aaron! I am just a spectator here!

I treat my eBay business as I treat all my business. I ship immediately after payment. The shocks are in the USPS system now. Not a thing I can do to get them back! After postage both ways and fees, there is not much left over! they are very nice NOS shocks, and although they are plastic bodied, they help up to daily road use on mopeds! ...but what do I know, I am not one of the experts here!

No problem. I may keep them for a possible next project or I can just list them myself if necessary. You sent them out immediately as any good eBayer. Nothing better I could have asked for. My bad .... My loss. They are pretty though, maybe someone will have a use for them. We'll see.
Thanks for the heads up. I will just have to wait to here from the OldMiniBikes wisemen next time before I make a careless purchase.

Dan

FYI,
Route 21 only has likely 2-3 sets left if anyone will need a set. He had them in a room that incurred a lot of water damage. Says of tbe 230 sets he has left can likely only make 2-3 more good sets. Figured I would let you guys know in case someones future plans may require a set.

Dan