Repro vs OEM

Hey guys new to the forum. I am looking for my first build. I really dig the Taco Frijole and was wondering are they out there or should I build a reproduction frame or are there frames being made. I might be stepping in it... repro frames may be like adding billit to a traditional hot rod -a noo go. Thanks, for the input.

-Don

furyus

Hey guys new to the forum. I am looking for my first build. I really dig the Taco Frijole and was wondering are they out there or should I build a reproduction frame or are there frames being made. I might be stepping in it... repro frames may be like adding billit to a traditional hot rod -a noo go. Thanks, for the input.

-Don
Sounds like you've been on the HAMB. Minibike rules are much looser. Mac is right: have fun.

furyus

re pop frams are pure evil no two was about it , yep they are

why are they evil well you can cut weld butcher and do what ever you want and have no bad feeling about doing it for you did not wreck a real old one . also a great way to have some rare or expensive one that you could never own any other ways

you made me out Im a HAMBer,

Mac THATS the frame I want, did you make it? Give me details...

I love the look of the Frijole Series 1

I cant wait to build one and have my first " I ditched the local cops" story.

I like the idea of un-molesting a original frame

you can still get a DUI on a mini bike, so you might want to avoid riding where cops are if you like to partake in a few tasty adult beverages.

furyus

you made me out Im a HAMBer,

I love the look of the Frijole Series 1

I cant wait to build one and have my first " I ditched the local cops" story.

I like the idea of un-molesting a original frame
The HAMB rocks. And not destroying a genuine vintage mini is best ten times out of ten. But a copy is cool, as long as one doesn't try to pass it off and take money from the gullible. If you want to build your own, do it. There are no rules. Heck, they let Chicom minis on here!

furyus

True

You can even get one rid'en a horse.

I need to build one first. Can anyone guide me to some one making repop Taco frames?

Mac

Yes, My friend(A welder), and I made the above pictured frames.
We tried to sell them for $100.00 each, $125 with scrub brake,
but there was NO market for them in Southern California.

We have since abandoned any idea of doing any more.
Repops don't sell and people would much rather have
an original frame with crap welded on from front to rear.

Bah Humbug !

True

You can even get one rid'en a horse.

I need to build one first. Can anyone guide me to some one making repop Taco frames?
Couldn't answer that one myself because I haven't been paying attention - I'm into the Rupps. What are you planning on doing? I ask because there are originals out there and if you go crazy and paint it something other than factory no one is going to get too upset. Chopping and stretching, maybe, but cosmetics don't matter except to you. Checks Mac's bikes - three different engines and colors. You probably can find an original way out yonder in California fairly easily.

Trade a vintage car for a Taco Minibike Collection

furyus

Yes, My friend(A welder), and I made the above pictured frames.
We tried to sell them for $100.00 each, $125 with scrub brake,
but there was NO market for them in Southern California.

We have since abandoned any idea of doing any more.
Repops don't sell and people would much rather have
an original frame with crap welded on from front to rear.

Bah Humbug !
That frame looks extremely nice for $100. Yikes!

furyus

I agree thats a bitchen looking frame.

Mac you guys dont just have one more hangin from the rafter do ya????

Thanks for the input and links guys.

edwin

dont forget about these guys. if anyone is interested the one with the 5 horse might be available with out a motor, after a little bit of repair that is

Korndog chime in if ya happen to read this post. if ya wanna sell.

Just do what makes it fun (I did).

Last edited:
The HAMB should link over to OldMiniBikes, a lot of the same type people it seems. Seems like a natural for Traditional hot rodders to be into vintage mini bikes.

Can anyone recommend a good parts source either online or on the West Coast?

-Don