Rupp Go Joe

Thought I'd check and see if there's any other Go Joe owners on here. Rupp manufactured these in two sizes,the mini and full sized. The full sized Go Joe is credited with being the first ATV. They are pretty crazy but a blast to drive.
Here's my mini I found about 2 yrs ago..very original (except gas tank),,even has the Clinton engine which supposedly was only installed in first year ones.IDK ?

Mean Dean

That one was mine. I have had a few Survivors. They are cool. I have never seen one with the tank outside the body. I don't think that is stock. I have the original brochures.

That one was mine. I have had a few Survivors. They are cool. I have never seen one with the tank outside the body. I don't think that is stock. I have the original brochures.
Yeah,that's the one thing that was changed ,as I mentioned in my post. It doesn't match any of the lit. I have. Someone must have had trouble and changed it.
How 'bout posting some pice of yours?? They are just cool looking. I remember in the early 70's visiting Rupps plant in Mansfield and seeing & sitting on all their sleds,mini's & karts. My Dad was their supplier for steel tubing and made sales calls there once a month. That was a awesome time/era.:thumbsup:

Go-jo

I never sold any of the Go-Jo's but I did put one together for a lady who won a GO-JO on the Price is Right TV show. They gave away a lot of Rupp Machines on that show for about 3 months.
Steve :scooter:

I have a white one with the 295 Kohler engine. I have all of the small parts powder coated. The body is in sealer. The frame is at powder coat now and waiting for engine parts

I have a white one with the 295 Kohler engine. I have all of the small parts powder coated. The body is in sealer. The frame is at powder coat now and waiting for engine parts
Would really like to see pics of your progress on this project. Sounds like a top notch restore. I have one of those Kohler 2 stroke engines,only missing recoil & carb. These full size Go Joes must be pretty darn fast?:thumbsup:

Mean Dean

Go Joes

We had a Go Joe reunion at Portland last year. We probably had the most together since Rupp had them in shipping and receiving.LOL. SmallBikes ended up selling his to a friend of mine. Mine went to a collector in Texas. They are fast with the Kohler. The Westbend Red Go Joes were good runners too. Here are some shots.

Last edited:
Would really like to see pics of your progress on this project. Sounds like a top notch restore. I have one of those Kohler 2 stroke engines,only missing recoil & carb. These full size Go Joes must be pretty darn fast?:thumbsup:
I will have to post some pics of the Gojoe I am also in the middle of a Rupp Roadster project that I have powder coating, seat, engine, pretty much everything done but paint and the chrome. The chrome is at the shop and I have been to busy to do the paint of tank and fenders.

Did the white VS red ones signify different engines? Like the Kohler/JLo 2 strokes were one color & the 4 strokers were another? Or just a color choice or year choice??
I have a Rockwell JLo 340 2 stroke on a Alsport Trisport and it is r e a l l y fast,,I could just imagine riding one of these with a 295!:thumbsup:

Rupp 72

while were on the topic of more than two wheel rupps. if anyone has a lead on a rupp three wheeler such as the rat or the trucker (not the street legal one) i would appreciate if anyone could give it to me. i've been searching for one for a while now and have seen some and they do come up however i just couldn't get any of them. if you could tell me anything you know that would be great.

Thanks Rupp72,,now I know a little more about these.
There was a Rupp Rat 3 wheeler on CL in the Sandusky,O ~ Metro Detroit listings for sale right around Christmas time...might still be.
:scooter:

I'm currently working on my red 18hp Go Joe. I've had a couple of people tell me the 18hp Kohlers didn't come in red, but I have an original one. Crappy weather out this weekend too, so I'll be in the barn fixing fiberglass. This thing sat for many, many years, so I need to have the motor gone through. Luckily I found an NOS tank on evilbay, same as a Nitro sled I think. It's a nice change from working on scooters. :thumbsup:

aarron, we're getting that storm just north of ya now! I'm looking forward to some hours in the shop too.
How 'bout some pictures of your Go Joe? I'm saving a 18hp Kohler I have for when I find a full sized Go Joe,,ya never know,,there could be a deal out there missing it's motor! haha:laugh: