Rupp Minibike need to find year!

Hi everyone I'm new to this forum and minibikes. I just got a Rupp Roadster 2 in pretty good shape with original everything on it except gas tank and fender was repainted many years ago. It doesn't run as of now (has been sitting 4-5 years) has a small amount of rust in gas tank and fuel on/off switch leaks and is repaired with tank putty. Now for the questions.

Is there anything special I should do before trying to clean the carb and get it running? Is it bad that the engine will suddenly run and hasn't for so long? Anything else I shoudl do?

I do not know the year. I have all the ID numbers, can anyone help me find out what year it is? I think it is a 1970 or 1971.

Serial# 10670

Model # HS40-55356c

Under seat number is 1 601582

Any help is appreciated!!

I'll be aksing more questions very shortly! haha:thumbsup:

Welcome to OldMiniBikes.com!! Just put oil and gas in it and run it....... Sounds like a great bike. It will be lots of fun!!!!!!!:thumbsup:

I'm no good with numbers, if it has coil over forks on the front it is a 70 if it has reglar m/c looking forks it's a 71 up. In 72 they started using 12 inch wheels.

Thanks guys, ya i know its a 4hp tecumseh, i know on the front it has little mini shocks boots, the frame is red, so is the fender and gas tank, and it has spoked wheels on it. any one else think what exact year it could be? ill try to post a pic 2morrow. its a nice little bike, minimal work and it should be running, o and it has the chrome side exhaust on it. got it for $450, any one tihnk i got a good deal? i'll keep everyone posted on my progress.

i need a new fuel valve to, it leaks gas from there, hope i cna get ti started soon though:sadcrying4:

Also what kind of carb do i have, i want to get a carb kit for it. it has the bowl style carb.

i'll have to measure the wheels then ill know for sure i think on the year

any one know how many turns out for the side screw and the screw under the bowl thats on the main jet.

Thanks everyone!:thumbsup:

With a bowl carb and forks like your describing it's a 71 up if it has 12" wheels it's a 72 up
Provided it has the correct carb you can get a kit from your local mower shop by using the engine numbers. There almost all the same. As far as 450.00 if your happy with it you got a good deal.
Post up some pics and keep us updated. We all love to see old bikes going back together.

markus

With a bowl carb and forks like your describing it's a 71 up if it has 12" wheels it's a 72 up
Provided it has the correct carb you can get a kit from your local mower shop by using the engine numbers. There almost all the same. As far as 450.00 if your happy with it you got a good deal.
Post up some pics and keep us updated. We all love to see old bikes going back together.
'71 was the start of 12" wheels, and calling it a roadster "2"

as far as the rupp numbers go, I have not seen anything to identify what they actually meant. But I think that the #'s on the engine can be deciphered (far as year maybe) it really does not matter much, a roadster 2 is the same through they years, I think paint color would probably be the the best to tell what year maybe.

I would say clean the rust out of the tank and probably reseal it if its questionable, Myrupp scrambler there was no easy cleaning it, it was getting fine particles even though a filter into the carb. would not be too terrible with float bowl carb but I have a diaphragm carb and it was a never ending battle as the sediment had no bowl to settle into :thumbdown: so I resealed it with a POR 15 kit

ebay a rupp fuel shut off/ petcock and nice one will come up through Brandt at Rupp parts price is right, and he has alot of other parts for your bike as well. I suggest buying through ebay from him only though. Also if anyone can decipher the #'s it would be him. Also the guys at Blackwidowmotorsports.com should have the petcock and they ship that stuff out REALLY fast, and have a pretty good selection for the rupps as well!

Last edited:
Hey huys I got some news, markus i went to blackwidowmotorsports and saw the exact bike as mine, on their site it says its a 1971 Rupp Roadster 2. This bike has 12 inch spoked wheels little black boots on the front for shocks covers, mines the same exact color also. So I would presume mine is the same year? Here is the pic on their site, i'll try to get a pic of mine today.

Thanks guys!

Hey everyone, i took my carb off today, all gummed up and everything. i see why it wouldn't run now. im gonna order a new carb kit and fuel valve from ruppparts.com. then hopefully soon ill ahve that bad boy running, ill make a new post and put pictures up later, i took a bunch.

wish me luck!:thumbsup: