Rupp Turbine wheel bearing replacement

Hello Folks,

The rear wheel on my Sensation Mike Bike is a Rupp turbine wheel that was on there when i bought it :shrug: .

The bearing on the left hand (sprocket) side of this wheel has disentigrated.

(Am figuring from my research the failure is due to the fact the rear wheel was spaced with big washers instead of proper diameter spacers.)

When the bearing went , the lip of the wheel hub got dogged up some..so it does not look like a smooth enough surface to install another bearing (see pics of good side that still has bearing:

and bad side w/ dogged up lip and no bearing (click photo and enlarge to see detail):

My question (in the interest of cost effectiviness :wink: ) - is it theroretically possible to 'repair' the hub. For instance, can the bad side of the wheel needing the bearing be machined to provide a smooth interior and lip surface again, and then a new bearing installed ?

Or given this scenario, is the hub trashed ?

Thank you,

Robert

its a minibike not a rocket ship :laugh: get good quality bearings and they wont blow up on you. that one pictured is not a good quality bearing. If it fits in there snug like it should then your good to go

its a minibike not a rocket ship :laugh: get good quality bearings and they wont blow up on you. that one pictured is not a good quality bearing. If it fits in there snug like it should then your good to go
Hey Jeep, thanks for your input.

I may be making this more difficult than it really is, but i'm learning.

My concern was the dogged up lip on the hub where the bearing goes - seems it would eat up part of the new bearing ?

I see Hent has a few different types in the OldMiniBikes Warehouse, and with me not knowing much about bearings, they seem reasonably priced.

If my dogged up hub is not going to present an issue in putting in a new bearing ? then i'll go for it (on both sides of the wheel).

Can you describe for me how the bearing is held in to place in the hub (looks pressed in to me ?), it seems it would just fall out - ?

Thanks,

Robert

:lol::lol::lol: "its a minibike not a rocket ship"... good one jeep :thumbsup:

As you speed along, bouncing over seams in the road and pot holes, remember how your 2 dollar CHICOM bearings are running.
I only use quality bearings. The extra couple of bucks make it worth it to protect my butt.

Finally had a little bit of time to work on this mini....I got the old bearings out, cleaned up the ragged edges on the drive side, put the new bearings in..

Now - I want to use spacers when installing the wheel (instead of the original multiple washer approach !), i see these steel spacers on line..in various sizes, and i've read in a thread here somewhere where someone was 'cutting' their spacers to needed length.

To fine tune positioning of wheel for chain allignment - how do you all space your wheels ? , are you using a combination of spacers and washers (away from the bearing of course) ? Or are y'all cutting your spacers somehow to exact length ?

Thank you,

Robert

i usually just cut them as close as possible and shim the reat with washers. they usually take some fine tuning anyway. moreso on a bike with fixed holes for the axle. with slotted holes you have more wiggle room for chain adjustment. but you definatly want a spacer between the bearings in the wheel hub also so you can crank down the axle without causing damage