Rupp XL 500 & 350

markus

The only thing that are different between the 2 (other than the engine) are kickstands, tank decals, and gears on the jackshaft. I think I would rather have an XL over a TT, the engines get centered in the frame on them, you loose the 2 speed of course but the bike balances and looks better.

on the right the 500

here is the 350

Was an easy way to add another bike to the lineup giving the option of 3 or 5hp on the same bike, they did it with the C-350 too. they introduced the C-500 a little bit later in 1968, basically throwing a 5hp on it....thats where the optional foot brake pedal came from. The C series bikes only had a rear brake and I think with the 5hp on there there was no stopping it with the cable!!! So then it became an option for the other models :thumbsup:

here was the brochure for the C 500 with the brake...it came out after the rest of the lineup so you don't see it in the 1968 catalog

Yes, the XL's have different fenders, tires(XL 4.10/ TT 5.30), rear sprockets (XL 60 tooth/ TT 72 tooth) and kickstand compared to the TT. TT's came with a 2 speed kit and some different sprockets on the jackshaft. That was an option I believe you could add on for the XL bikes. The photos are a bad representation of the actual bikes. In the photos the front springs look different between the two bikes but they are the same. Also the kickstand looks the same but it is different. The TT kickstand has a funky bend to it. The fenders on the TT look like they have a radius (roundness) to them but they are flat across the top of the fender. And finally, the clutch guard on the TT looks like it has square corners to it but it has rounded edges. A few of the things I've noticed.

markus

Yes, the XL's have different fenders, tires(XL 4.10/ TT 5.30), rear sprockets (XL 60 tooth/ TT 72 tooth) and kickstand compared to the TT. TT's came with a 2 speed kit and some different sprockets on the jackshaft. That was an option I believe you could add on for the XL bikes. The photos are a bad representation of the actual bikes. In the photos the front springs look different between the two bikes but they are the same. Also the kickstand looks the same but it is different. The TT kickstand has a funky bend to it. The fenders on the TT look like they have a radius (roundness) to them but they are flat across the top of the fender. And finally, the clutch guard on the TT looks like it has square corners to it but it has rounded edges. A few of the things I've noticed.

I thought he asked for a comparison between the 500 and 350 XL's :shrug: which again are (or course the engine and decals for designation) Kickstand (5hp sits in a different position than the 3.5 so the stands had to be different between the 350 and 500 XL, and both were different than the TT) and gears on the jackshaft- they were flip flopped between the 2 XL models to match gearing with engine power.

The kickstand that the XL500 used was carried over to the 1969 lineup, it utilized the frame rail for support.

markus

Pics of the three different styles of kickstands would good info.
Here is the TT500, That is an original one I rebuilt for someone along with the other parts shown, I made a pattern off of it when I had it apart and can build them out of long kickstands, I just did a pair of them for another member last week :thumbsup:

I have a pattern for the 1969 and 1968 XL500, they are shorter with a welded on tab. I have not made one yet but I did take the measurements and pattern for it when I rebuilt an original for someone a few months ago.

I dont have a photo of one right now, but heres an image of one I found on google:

I do have 20 NOS atwood/cecor stands coming in though, I think 8 or 10 of which have the correct hinge plate that they used so I plan to rebend one or 2 of them replicate and weld on the tab and making some of the '69 version and will post the pics when I get around to it.

the XL350 is the same as used on the cub/econocycle/chopper/rascal, I had one on my cub, and I should have taken a pattern of it before I sold the bike...but that was before I realized I was pretty good at rebuilding kickstands :laugh: I have a photo of it on my cub when I had it though: