Sanding and painting

Ok....so I am new to restoring as some know. I'm trying to repaint some bike parts and soon will be repainting my Rupp. All the parts I'm painting are steel. I've already used "SEARCH" which answered about half my questions but the following questions I couldn't find answers to. This is what I've been doing: prime, paint, sand lightly with a light grit just to score the surface....about 220 grit, paint....repeat process. How many times should I be expected to repeat this process before I get a good coat ? How long should I wait to sand and re paint? I've been waiting an hour or two. If I missed the answers to these questions in "SEARCH" that's my fault and I apologize. Thanks.:thumbsup:

With motorcycles, I've always had frames and tanks sandblasted with med/course abrasive. This sets a good surface for primer to adhear to. Then I lay on two primer coats waiting about 20/30 minutes between coats. Then I wet sand with 400 grit. Then one more coat and lightly wet sand with 400 avoiding cutting through to the metal.

With the color coat, I lay on three coats then wet sand with 600 or 800 depending on the paint. How long I wait to recoat and sand depends on the paint. Then three more color coats and wet sand LIGHTLY with 1000 grit.

For clear, I put it on three coats at a time and wet sand with 1500/2000 to level the third coat. How many times I do this depends on deep I want the finish to look.