Saved this mini from the scrap yard...

jeep4me

On my daily search at the scrap yard for engines and such, a guy was unloading this. I helped him unload it, of course, and loaded it right into the Jeep.

Cost me $5.30

jeep4me

Hahahaha, Your a "scrapper"! :thumbsup:

Good catch.
I go to the scrap yard everyday. Before I got switched to a different shift I went 2-3 times a day. I get engines almost every time I go. They only charge me $5 (minimum charge) for an engine or $.20/lb for bigger stuff.

Last year the scrap yard was a gold mine. I was bringing home snowblowers and rototillers like no tomorrow. Of course scrap sheet iron was over $300/ton, now it's around $80/ton. Pickings this year are not as good but there's always the occasional great find like ths one.

Lucky bastage. Our yards suck and are too organized and most won't even let you "pick", Some "pick" for you and charge you $$$$. you have to drive to find the good kind around here.

I wish there was a place that had piles of pull starts to get parts from, I need manifolds and stuff right now.:doah:

jeep4me

Lucky bastage. Our yards suck and are too organized and most won't even let you "pick", Some "pick" for you and charge you $$$$. you have to drive to find the good kind around here.

I wish there was a place that had piles of pull starts to get parts from, I need manifolds and stuff right now.:doah:
Make a list of the "parts" you need and I'll look for them. I pass up engines that aren't complete but do have some usable parts like you listed.

My grandparents owned a scrap yard when I was young. One year for Christmas they gave my brother and I a Scat Cat w/2.5hp Tec.. I never asked them, but I assumed that someone had brought it in to scrap. Never thought about going to those places to scrounge around. :thumbsup:

Tom.

We have 2 here, both have quit letting you wander on your own. One of them sets aside mowers and such. If you see something from a distance they'll bring it over but by the lb. with some silly minimum. Gave up on both and figured what comes to me is meant to be. Had a guy drop off a Heathkit Boonie yesterday. Very ambitious but does have a mint seat!

I got a free 6 hp Tecumseh without a carb. I have spent a week looking for a carb that would fit. I never thought about going to the scrap yard that is less than 2 miles from my shop. There is even a big sign out front that says "come in and browse". Thanks for the great idea.

i cant stand to think about all the good stuff that gets crushed every day everywhere. most of the time people know its worth some $ but they dont want to bother trying to sell it. Sucks :hammer: great score :thumbsup:

jeep4me

i cant stand to think about all the good stuff that gets crushed every day everywhere. most of the time people know its worth some $ but they dont want to bother trying to sell it. Sucks :hammer: great score :thumbsup:
I hear you there. That's why I go so often.

I've gotten alot of "contacts" from the scrap yard as well. People will be dropping things off and see me picking up small engines and will say "I got an old rototiller at home, I'll sell it to you for $10". I bought at least a dozen that way. Clean 'em up and get 'em running and turn a quick $$. Too easy. That's where most of my mini bike $$ comes from, reselling things from the scrap yard.

Make a list of the "parts" you need and I'll look for them. I pass up engines that aren't complete but do have some usable parts like you listed.
3.5-5HP Tecumseh intakes and carbs would be good, the old steel tanks, I need a powersport 6HP (OHV) intake. briggs carbs & tanks. :thumbsup:

Hey GTO, I have some Briggs stuff to get rid of. PM me next week if interested, I'll have to see what all I have. Going out of town for the Holiday, be back late Tuesday.

Tom.

jeep4me

So here's what I found at the scrap yard today. I'm hoping that this will go on the minibike with a little persuasion.

It already has the sprocket welded to the shaft. I should only have to put bearings on the frame and line the sprocket/clutch up.

I'm not sure how cornering will go.

delray

jeep4me, do the tracks work like a posi? or like a open rearend?
posi rearend will just make it push straight:doah:maybe with a open rearend and two ski's up front wide apart might help it turn.....

maby use one in the middle i think theres a video one u-tube with one like that works great. But those are just like the tracks im using on my 2x2 :thumbsup: