School me HS50 H50

What are the major differences and what to look for between the HS and H50 series engines, Im looking for early ones (im thinking HS) for my Bonanzas I would like to stay correct for the era there are a few of those around in my parts and would like a little more info on the differences and whats correct for my 1400 and 1300 I did aquire a very clean looks to be sitting on a shelf for many years side exhaust 3.5 but would like a 5hp on both of these. Thanks in advance JC

jeep4me

An HS50 has a small block size which is the same as a 3hp, 3.5hp and 4hp. A H50 is a large block size which is the same as a 6hp and 7hp. You'll definetly notice the difference if you set them next to each other. I don't think the Bonanzas ever came with a HS series motor.

Well it looks like I will be looking for a H50 for the 1400 Bonanza and im not sure on the 1300 after looking at threads they had 4hp:shrug: I have this 3.5 side exhaust engine I will need to find a smaller mini for it, Its too nice to just sit on a shelf and era correct and quite a clean early unit thinking its 60's by the grip and white.

This is the 3.5 side popper or pooper as its referred to, its a fine example of a early engine, the tag id is different than the one listed I think because of the era but Im guessing after looking at it a while its a 1970-71 342 day of 1970. the tag reads 142-554022 sn 4302-03427 It is a tag riveted to the cowl. Clean unit great spark and compression I do not think it has seen much action.

toomanytoys

h50 has the governor on the side of the case by the crank

the hs50 has the governor on the rear of the block below the carb

Thats how I always look at them, but I may be wrong?

Well An Hs-50 is really a badass engine for being so small I Have one on my sears and that thing flies.
Hs-50 has a bigger bore than an H50 but im sure and H50 has more torque
I would go with an hs-50 it just looks cleaner on alot of minibikes dont get me wrong on some minibikes the h series and larger briggs engine look just at home but in most cases the hs tecumsehs are clearly the winner which is why alot of the older minibikes came with them

I like both engines, each has its high and low points! If you can fit it in your frame and get it to line up with everything, go with the h50. Its has much greater power potential. And there are actually after market performance parts made for it! The hs50 is a nice motor in a small package, and they will run nice for a long time if you treat it right. But hs50 cant match the output of the h50.

Actually since posting this I have bought 2 h50's and one hs from a local wanted ad. I took the 3.5 apart and detailing it and changing a couple things, it has a new resting place that should be here in a few weeks:scooter:

Just picked up an H50 as well. Tore it down. Can anyone point me to where I can get rings,seals and the side cover bushing?
Thanks