SCORE! Briggs 5hp IC

MKW

Well, I think I got a good deal on a Briggs 5hp IC engine today. I saw it on craigslist. The engine is on a Craftsman tiller that I bought for $75. Obviously a tiller does not get used very much, so I think it will be a good engine. It runs like a champ. It is a continuous speed engine, so I'll have to deal with throttle linkage, but that's not a big deal.
Anyway, I was just happy to find a IC engine at a decent price!

Mike

Yeah thats good buy.. They are starting to get old and are starting to dry up.. 75 bucks has ALWAYS been a good price for a good motor.. what year is it?

MKW

Heck, I don't know the year. The plate reads:
Model: 133202
Type: 0156-01
Code: 95013007

What's that tell you?

Mike

95.. That is probably an adjustable jet carburetor still.. They started changing them out rite around then.. 95 is probably adjustable.. If there is a spring holding the jet in place it's an adjustable carb.. If it is a brass jet screwed in tight, it is non adjustable..

MKW

Yes, there is a spring on the jet...good news. Thanks for the info, guys. Anything else you cane tell me would be great. I'm all ears...

Mike

YEAH that should be a hella good motor.. painted silver or bare aluminum block, black shroud recoil and tank, probably plastic air filter cover, galvanized base, galvanized rear shroud, and flywheel cover? :shrug: Those are good ones..

The head gasket is the goopy bastard and %99.78 of the time it's JUNK if you ever remove the head.. But they work great if ya don't take the head off..

OH yeah thats a good one.. Some of those even have a DU bushing for a front bearing.. The engine builders prefer those over the ball bearing block, as the ball bearing block explodes, before the DU block does.. More material in the block, but all the low drag hard smooth surface of the bronze bearing..

MKW

How would I know if it has the DU bushing? It does have a little cover held on by 2 screws on the front of the block that I'm not familiar with.

Mike

engine ruiner.. :laugh:

It's an oil feeler sensor.. It's a big ole metal thing that lays in the oil and feels oil.. If there is no oil, it makes contact and shuts the engine off..

They use up lots of valuable volume that COULD BE oil, and tend to screw up.. %3 just flat screw up and don't work.. Lots more shut the engine off when you go around a corner or accelerate hard or something..

Unhooking the wire unhooks it..

I like to take em out and hacksaw off everything ya don't need.. Any cover that seals the hole will work.. It's just easiest to saw off %95 of it and put it back in..