Sears Mini Bike

I'm a new member to this forum and just got this old barn find Sears mini bike. I'm just starting into the hobby and was wondering the value of this bike in this condition? It appears to be all original (paint, tires, motor, etc.) and is just missing the rear fender and chain guard. Obviously the exhaust is not original and junk. Another couple questions: do I restore it or clean it and keep it original? I've been in the old gas pump hobby for 20 years and the trend there is shifting to cleaning and keeping things original, like rat rods. Also, is this bike a rare find in this condition? Any feedback is appreciated!

Last edited:

1stlegendtx

I'm a new member to this forum and just got this old barn find Sears mini bike. I'm just starting into the hobby and was wondering the value of this bike in this condition? It appears to be all original (paint, tires, motor, etc.) and is just missing the rear fender and chain guard. Obviously the exhaust is not original and junk. Another couple questions: do I restore it or clean it and keep it original? I've been in the old gas pump hobby for 20 years and the trend there is shifting to cleaning and keeping things original, like rat rods. Also, is this bike a rare find in this condition? Any feedback is appreciated!

Welcome. You should do with it what makes you happy. I (if it was mine to keep) would just clean it because its so original. Nice color to.:thumbsup:

Nice find, you can only have original once. :wink:

If it where mine I would clean everything the best I could and change the pipe, make a chain guard (sears are easy,,cut shapes,, one fold and a few tack's) And paint the engine.

sears

looks like it has a 2 speed jackshaft.I think that makes it a Sears Puncher.

It looks very complete,clean it up or restore it.It will be nice either way.

A friend of mine back in the 70's had one of those,we made a plywood ramp and use to jump them and get air,he jumped it one time and snapped the front forks and rammed his throat into the handlebars,flipped over the front of the bike,thought he was a goner for sure,I was laughin my ass off ,and poor guy could not catch his breath:scooter:

Look closely at the ad for the 2-Speed. The bottom, rear of the frame is not rounded. Also, the jackshaft mount is a separate piece from the brake mount. I think you have a Sears Puncher and someone has bolted a jackshaft where a simple cover should go. Just my opinion...

It's a Sears 2 Speed (manufactured by Bird). I just got one, although not as good. I'm missing the jackshaft assembly. Anyone know where I can get the parts?