Sears Roper Build for a newbie

Someone suggested I start my own build thread so I hope this is the right spot. Maybe it's my screaming 3 year old that's breaking my concentration but I didn't see a new build section. Anyhow I'm revisiting mini bikes for the first time in 25 years. I used to ride a taco something or other around that belonged to my neighbor (my dad wouldn't let me have one).
I picked up a Sears Roper the other day from Richmond VA, which is two hours south of me, for $50! I don't know any history of the bike other then it was left outside for several decades and the kid I bought it from was happy to be rid of it. I fell in love with the Roper after I was looking through CL and found one in STL (where I'm originally from) that was totally overhauled. I already took a ton of pictures and then broke it down to all of it's parts and started soaking them in vinegar to rid the rusty bits. I'm painstakingly scraping off all the paint so I can take it to get powder coated. Not sure what kind of power plant it will have yet but I'm leaning toward the titan honda clone or a B&S which is on my other mini that I got a month back. I would definitely like suggestions for a motor. The tires were still full of air after 20 years!
My plan for the bike is to fix up and ride it around the neighborhood with my buddies. I want to craft some sort of trailer maybe so I can put my rc planes in there and ride it to a local field. I want this bike to be a family heirloom ya know. I'm not going 100% original as I can't find the engine, but I do want to put the original decals, handlebars, etc. I'm open to any suggestions, feedback and general knowledge.. that's why I'm here!
Cheers everyone:drinkup:
Mike

Last edited:

buckeye

Welcome to the fun. Nice intro!

If you are getting it powder coated, I think paint removal is part of the process. They prep it I think.

Should be a cool project. What color you going with??

You could find a original or close to it engine. Or " Gumpit it up" with a clone. Your bike, your call.

If you are getting it powder coated, I think paint removal is part of the process. They prep it I think.

You could find a original or close to it engine. Or " Gumpit it up" with a clone. Your bike, your call.
Yeah when I called the paint shop they said that it's significantly cheaper if I remove the paint and rust myself. They did say that they sandblast it anyway before they start but if most of the work is done then there's less man hours so less cost.

I've been looking for an older engine but I'm not sure what they even used for it. There's a guy in Maryland that has an early 70's B&S 5hp but I'm sure it'll be a daunting task finding parts for it. Not sure of the color yet. I was thinking of doing a dark green color with all black accents. Since I build furniture as hobby I was thinking of working some wood accents into it somehow...like maybe in the v of the gas tank on top and a couple other places that I haven't decided yet. It's just an idea I may not even be able to pull it off, or like it for that matter.

Briggs parts are pretty easy to come by.
But I think yours would have hsd a tecumsehhhh.
Yeah I was hoping I could find an old tecumseh but no luck so far. Might get the suburau robin ohc 6hp. They have it for 200$ a smallenginewarehouse. Unrelated but does anyone know what that tab on the right rear of the frame is for? If you're standing behind the bike looking at the axle it's on the right side. I don't know how to search it in the forum.

markus

Yeah I was hoping I could find an old tecumseh but no luck so far. Might get the suburau robin ohc 6hp. They have it for 200$ a smallenginewarehouse. Unrelated but does anyone know what that tab on the right rear of the frame is for? If you're standing behind the bike looking at the axle it's on the right side. I don't know how to search it in the forum.
that was for the disc brake, roper bikes were offered up in many different ways. By the looks of it, your bike was a non jackshaft with disc brake, the scrub brake that is on it looks like it was someones add on down the line probably.

cornishrooster,
Welcome to the forum. These bikes are unique and there are a lot of OldMiniBikes members who own or have owned them.
FYI: Build threads like yours are typically posted in the "Project Logs" topic section- check it out. If you perform a search by using the search words "Sears Roper Project" you will find some excellent highly- detailed threads, with lots of photos. My son, The Ruppster 86, posted one last year beginning on 7/27/2011 that still remains one of the most often-viewed project threads of all time on this forum (O.K.- shameless plug!)
Michael

cornishrooster,
Welcome to the forum. These bikes are unique and there are a lot of OldMiniBikes members who own or have owned them.
FYI: Build threads like yours are typically posted in the "Project Logs" topic section- check it out. If you perform a search by using the search words "Sears Roper Project" you will find some excellent highly- detailed threads, with lots of photos. My son, The Ruppster 86, posted one last year beginning on 7/27/2011 that still remains one of the most often-viewed project threads of all time on this forum (O.K.- shameless plug!)
Michael
Thanks I've been searching like crazy but not using the right key words. I tend to over think my search words... Just like in google.

that was for the disc brake, roper bikes were offered up in many different ways. By the looks of it, your bike was a non jackshaft with disc brake, the scrub brake that is on it looks like it was someones add on down the line probably.
Yeah I like the scrub brake idea but it looks shoddy at best here. I like the Ruppsters brake but I don't know a damn thing about welding. Hmm.... I wonder if I could retrofit a disc brake to that tab. Then I can take off the scrub and use that area for the 2 gear clutch I'm gonna order.

Welcome to the fun, i just rebuild a roper aswell it is an amazing ride, im running a 6.5 greyhound in mine and its a monster. Ill link my build thread so you can get ideas. What size motor are you trying to use i have a friend who has a 3.5 Tec off a pressure washer he might be willing to let go of. Im down in Va beach so its not to much of a hike.
http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/project-logs/66978-1st-mini-project.html
I'm meeting a guy who has a red new in crate Tecumseh. He thinks its. 20 years old but he doesn't know the hp. Ill let you know if that falls through. Thanks for the offer. It does have a 2 3/4" crank on it. I'm wondering if that would be too long?

Last edited:
Welcome to the fun, i just rebuild a roper aswell it is an amazing ride, im running a 6.5 greyhound in mine and its a monster. Ill link my build thread so you can get ideas. What size motor are you trying to use i have a friend who has a 3.5 Tec off a pressure washer he might be willing to let go of. Im down in Va beach so its not to much of a hike.
http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/project-logs/66978-1st-mini-project.html
Never herd of a greyhound. Ill have to check it out.

So I'm picking up this engine on saturday. Apparently it's brand new and been bolted to a crate for 20 years and she did confirm it's a 5hp tecumseh with a 2 3/4 crankshaft. It's an h50 series. Does anyone know or see any reason why this engine wouldn't work for me? I have the original gas tank so obviously won't need that one. Will I need to buy a fuel pump to get the gas from the original tank to the engine? Any help would be great.
Also if you know of anyone with the original handle bars laying around that would be extra sweet. Thinking of calling some junkyards.

Yeah it is. And it's brand new! I was reading the other forums and someone said you need the throttle assembly for the h50 but they don't make them anymore. If that's true is there a substitute?
Thanks.

Last edited:

Hey Randy, Buckeye is picking on you again.:devil2: