Seized Briggs flat head

Dad was splitting some wood with an old log splitter (5hp Briggs flathead). he went to shut it down and it seized it up. I went to pull the starter and it wouldn't budge. So i looked to see if there was any oil in it and "bam", friggin dry.

He is old school and wants me to rebuild it. I said sure, but in the mean time, Im going to HF to get a Predetor. He said "no way", that briggs is at least 20 years old, i want another Briggs.

Sunday, im going to just buy a Predetor at HF, install it and see what he thinks. I told him its more hp and even has a low oil sensor!.

I'll let you know how it works out.

Dad was splitting some wood with an old log splitter (5hp Briggs flathead). he went to shut it down and it seized it up. I went to pull the starter and it wouldn't budge. So i looked to see if there was any oil in it and "bam", friggin dry.

He is old school and wants me to rebuild it. I said sure, but in the mean time, Im going to HF to get a Predetor. He said "no way", that briggs is at least 20 years old, i want another Briggs.

Sunday, im going to just buy a Predetor at HF, install it and see what he thinks. I told him its more hp and even has a low oil sensor!.

I'll let you know how it works out.
he does have a point that briggs will out work that clone any day of the week.

Ive got a 71 briggs 5 hp that i only use twice a year and she always fires 2nd pull.

The clones use real crappy rubber and when they are not used they dry up and crack.

he does have a point that briggs will out work that clone any day of the week.

Ive got a 71 briggs 5 hp that i only use twice a year and she always fires 2nd pull.

The clones use real crappy rubber and when they are not used they dry up and crack.
this briggs always fired up 1st or 2nd pull. it could be 20 degrees out or raining, it was very reliable. I'll rebuild the Briggs and who knows, might throw it back on there if the clone dies in a year or two.

I'll keep an eye on the rubber parts, i know what you mean.

Probably already know this, but I always pour a little Marvel Mystery Oil on top of the piston and inside the case and let it set for a while before I try spinning them again. :thumbsup:

Yup yup..Or sometimes not even lube it.. :shrug:

Quite often after the engine cools down and the piton shrrinks back down, it will roll over and run again.. When worse comes to worse, you can always pop the head off and blast it with a rubber hammer until moves.. :laugh:

I have never seen a piston seize, it is always the rod seizing to the crank. Buy a new rod and polish the aluminum off the crank with emery cloth.

Yup yup..Or sometimes not even lube it.. :shrug:

Quite often after the engine cools down and the piton shrrinks back down, it will roll over and run again.. When worse comes to worse, you can always pop the head off and blast it with a rubber hammer until moves.. :laugh:
I let it cool over night and it still wont budge (by pulling the cord)
im going to pop the head and see whats up.

pulled the head. the intake valve is scorched, black sooty crap all over it. the piston top is black with thick crud. I gently tapped the top of the piston down and now it turns over when i pull the cord. was it the rod? dont know what the deal is with it. The cylinder is fine. no ridges, scratches etc.
:shrug:

No, the rings melted to the jug.. No lube on the cylinder wall, with extreme hotness and friction, it just couldn't go on.. :laugh: It depends on how hard it was ran and all.. It sounds like just an all stock motor running with a governor so it shouldn't be SO bad.. Ive ran pretty modded motors WIDE OPEN for endless miles in 100 degree temps until they melt down.. THAT really :censure:s them up.. But if it's got an air filter and no super high compression, super lean fuel mixture, it probably didn't burn the cylinder up too bad..

It'll probably smoke, but that's OK, it's old enough to.. :laugh:

Thanks for the feedback. Its a completely stock engine. If i have the time, new rings would be all i'd have to do? the cylinder is super clean, i wasn't expecting that. I might pull it apart and do the ring job and clean it up a bit.

Briggs are HAAAARD to kill. My friend has a 3HP on a bike that sounds horrible. Such a bad knocking sound you hear it over the exhaust, and it's straight piped! Yet this tired old severely worn 3HP continues to live on. Burns diesel oil. :shrug: