Shipping Engines

i have a bunch of engines that im simply not going to do anything with , so i figured id sell them to someone who might need them. So my question is.. How do you ship them ? I know to make sure they are dry form oil and gas if there is a tank. But How do you guys crate them or box them ? Thanks for tips

buckeye

Big thick plastic bag.
Make a thick motor mount out of cardboard.
Put her im a appropriate size box.
Fill with packing material.
I did remove the carb to protect it and wrapped in bubble wrap.
Seal up the box with lots of tape. Ups it away.

Hey smoke.......i bought one from kk and it was wrapped in plastic then put in a very thick box with packing around it and pieces of wood panel that kept the box from collapsing in any way.....it cost about 35 from nj to nmexico......and not a problem except the mailman almost went postal cause it weighed about 30 lbs...it can be done....and actually i saved the box just in case....:smile::scooter:

45t

Find a suitable size box that has enough space around it so the engine does not touch any side of the box. Take three pieces of card board that are the exact size of the inside bottom of the box. Put one piece down first inside the box to help strengthen the bottom of the box to support the engine weight. Stack the other two pieces on top of each other and reverse your engine mount bolts to mount the card board to the bottom of the engine. Tighten the bolts down enough to secure the cardboard but not to rip through it. Slide the engine in to the box so it is secure. There should be no slop and engine should be centrally located in the box. Take off any part that can get broken off (plastic tank, air filter, spark plug, etc.) wrap them up or place them in a zip lock bag (zip lock bags help a lil in masking a gas smell from the gas tank), cover any holes with masking tape (spark plug hole, carb air intake, exhaust hole, etc.). Use bubble paper or packing paper to pack in and around the engine and parts removed for shipping. Do not use foam peanuts the debris from the peanuts can get in the engine. Use the packing tape that has the fibers runnng through it, its stronger than the regular clear packing tape and will help secure and strengthen the box to accomodate the engines weight.

hope this helps

Last edited:

delray

smokinsmo i deal with more then 100 ups package a day at work and the best way i have seen it done is to bolt the engine to a piece of plywood and make sure the plywood is the same size of the inside of the box(no movement) and then foam around the the engine using sealed type bags so the foam does not get on it. also bubble rap material works ok around it too,but just make sure it is tight and there is no movement...:thumbsup: arrows up on the outside of the box might just help little too.

this could actually be a useful thread for the tech section.....once all the lame jokes are deleted.....who do I know who has such powers........:shifty:

I ship alot of heavy items this is the best way I have found.

1 Need a proper size box

2 Trash Bag (I like the bigger ones)

3 A few cans of good stuff (expandable foam)

Drain the oil gas etc from engine place some tape on shroud NO OIL for the new owner.

Take the box spray good stuff on the inside botton let sit a half hour or so.
After it sits spray some more in line the inside of box with the trash bag then set the engine in.
Pull the bag over the engine then and sqeeze all the air out and tie it.
Spray more good stuff around engine and in all corners of the box do NOT FILL TO SURFACE it expands I usually leave it a few inches down let sit over nite.
The next day I will spray just a bit more on top and close the box up.

This will turn the engine and box into a solid mass it will not get damaged, but it can be a bit tuff breaking the foam off around the engine but the engine is in a bag so none will stick to engine it just forms around it.

Last edited:
Geez KK, you could have least left the good info about using old wall panels from the basement, that is not a bad idea :smile:
I actually like using pieces of 1/8" luan....you can actually score that stuff using a straight edge and a utility knife with a new sharp blade...make successive passes.... and snap it clean on the line...takes a couple minutes and looks like you cut it with a table saw...:hack:

I always cut a piece to fit the bottom of the box...adds a lot of strength and adds very little weight....if it looks like the crank could poke out the side I cut a piece for that side also. Then just keep the motor from shifting around using chunks of styrofoam, lots of ballled up newspaper packed in tight or peanuts.

When you're done you should be able to shake that box as hard as you can and get no movement....:hammer:

smokinsmo i deal with more then 100 ups package a day at work and the best way i have seen it done is to bolt the engine to a piece of plywood and make sure the plywood is the same size of the inside of the box(no movement) and then foam around the the engine using sealed type bags so the foam does not get on it. also bubble rap material works ok around it too,but just make sure it is tight and there is no movement...:thumbsup: arrows up on the outside of the box might just help little too.
I think this idea works the best:thumbsup:

If you ever want to ship a complete mini bike....Ask Guardrail dave. Best packing I have ever seen. The engine was mounted to a piece of plywood the exact size of the box. Tons of packing:thumbsup: The frame was in another box with the forks tied to the frame and all other parts in seperate small boxes inside. It took me 4 large black trash bags to get rid of all the packing material. (not the boxes). Those bags was stuffed:thumbsup::thumbsup: Awsome. Then there was the other bike I recieved from a member.:thumbdown: "No comment"