shorten clutch spring

The max torque clutch bell was heating up, I cut 6 coils off. Wanted it to contact at higher rpm. The result was ...alright, I think it pulled out harder (more like a jerk when you gas it).

The cutting was easy but putting the spring back was a pain. Took me about two hours to put it back on. I think I ruin the spring, over stretching to fit. You will need some sort of spring puller or some very strong fingers. Was it worth it trying to save $10, I dont think it was.

Anyone try the green spring from nr-racing? Dragging skin clutch now thats nice, but thats the price of a clone engine!

Saw that, its pretty helpful. But once you shorten the spring its harder to put it back on. The tension is tighter and the shoe collapse in when you try to put the top cover over. Taking the c clip on and off is easy, its the spring thats a pain.

I have used the spring out of the stock DB clutch,it has stronger spring than the Max Torque.
On big engines like the 13 hp I use the shoes from the DB clutch,they are heavier and lowers the stall.

Black spring from hotrodminibikes is perfect.
The thing about cutting the springs is getting the ends to reconnect right with making a new connecting loops. Can't twist the spring when re connecting the ends.
Yep it's a pain. A new spring works better and much easier on the fingers.
The stock doodlebug spring is not worth the time to take it off and put it on; you might gain 500 rpm. The Black spring will gain a bunch. Nice to rev the motor up before it engages. The best 7.95 I spent!!!
The max torque clutch bell was heating up, I cut 6 coils off. Wanted it to contact at higher rpm. The result was ...alright, I think it pulled out harder (more like a jerk when you gas it).

The cutting was easy but putting the spring back was a pain. Took me about two hours to put it back on. I think I ruin the spring, over stretching to fit. You will need some sort of spring puller or some very strong fingers. Was it worth it trying to save $10, I dont think it was.

Anyone try the green spring from nr-racing? Dragging skin clutch now thats nice, but thats the price of a clone engine!

Last edited:
Wierd,I got a lot more than that when I did it. One was on the max torque clone clutch(2300)and the other was the standard flathead clutch(1800).