Should I upgrade my HS40 diaphram carb?

I've got an HS40 with a diaphram carb that is pretty beat (even though its rebuilt) and I'm thinking of buying a new one. I know that these diaphram carbs aren't that popular and troublesome so I was wondering what the experts would suggest to replace it with. I really don't want to upgrade the intake tube so I was wondering what would be a better direct replacement.

Also, where's a place to get a good price on a carb?

Thanks.

I have one and have no problems with it ! No gas to leak out of the bowl and works on the rupp angle frame no problem .They can't be beat up after rebuild can they?

The bike was in rough shape when I got it. The carb is rebuilt but the choke and throttle plate is all loose and doesn't seem to seal right. And no its not working good and I'm pretty sure its a fuel issue so I figure I can start off fresh with a new carb and just be done with it.

The bike was in rough shape when I got it. The carb is rebuilt but the choke and throttle plate is all loose and doesn't seem to seal right. And no its not working good and I'm pretty sure its a fuel issue so I figure I can start off fresh with a new carb and just be done with it.
if the shafts are flopping around in the holes , that will give you all kinds of grief . any carb will run like crap if the shafts are leaking . pm restorekid see if he has any of that carb left .i know he did have some a while ago .

delray

OriginalWhitey, if i remember right you found that bike sitting outside for years . i can see why that carb could be giving you problems. you can still find good use ones. some of the older snowblowers with two strokes will have a diaphram carb and other units that came with a two stroke too.:thumbsup:

Does anyone know of any part numbers for this carb? My motor was missing the engine plate so I don't know what serial number my HS40 is. It is the HS40 with the lighting coil that came with the bike. The number on teh side of the carb I am replacing is "356 0f4" but I can't find that part number anywhere.

Tecumseh 631918....says it will fit HS40-55580K, HS40-55580M from here for $75:

TECUMSEH CARBURETORS - PAGE 2

Is this the right carb for my motor and a good price?

ELT

I am working on a diaphram carb for my 70 roadster. Got one problem left, the check ball in the high speed circut was gooed up and stuck. I got it freed up and it will work when you fire the engine up. I can ajust it and make the engine run fine. Then I shut it off and it won't restart. The check ball won't reseat and let it draw fuel. If I pull it off and shake the carb. or blow air through it to rattle the ball and seat it, it runs again. How can I get all the gum off that little ball.

ELT, I would let the carb soak in gas.
Put the entire carb into a container full of gas.
Leave it in there for a couple of days and see if the problem went away