Side Mount Tecumseh legit or home made?

This has been on CL for a few weeks now. I've not seen the mount like this in any diagrams or the two that I own. Yet it does look original in the pics. Yet I doubt its orig. Opinions? Nice engine either way and he says he did a little performance work on it. $75 is right in the wheelhouse...

:shrug: Looks good to me
I don't know... It just looks like something someone would do that never saw how they originally were installed. Why would the tank even have to be contoured so closely to the shroud if it wasn't touching it? I looked in the master parts manually and could not see any examples of it. Of course, I can always revert it to the other way anyway... Nice engine.

2SlickNick

I have an 8hp with the side mount. Yours looks factory from here.
It is probably because the mounts for the gas tanks are so easy to make. So you can customize them per your application back in the day. As my MTD mud bug had a side mount gas tank because the hole on the body is there for fill ups.

Last edited:

markus

Its spaced out off the shroud becuase of the box setup over the carb. Is it a downward facing carb or a standard bowl carb :shrug: and is it an H22 or h30/35 should be around 1963-ish

oldfatguy

I have one too. mine was an original mini bike engine. That style engine came on one of the low end rupps. That style tank is some what rare and can be worth some bucks in good shape. My engine is an hs35 with a steel bore . I would have to check to see what year.

Its spaced out off the shroud becuase of the box setup over the carb. Is it a downward facing carb or a standard bowl carb :shrug: and is it an H22 or h30/35 should be around 1963-ish
Yes the heater box over the carb. Could be why. It was a standard bowl carb . It came off a snowblower. I didnt buy it and its sold now. No biggie. Those posts for mounting the tank had me wondering though. Id like to see a pic of the snowblower that iscwas on actually