So who's a real small engine mechanic?

rmm727

Just by owning a mini bike, I think we all can say that we can work on small engines. But who does it for a living, day in, day out? Reason is....

I just picked up a lawn mower with a GCV160 engine. I got it for free and it runs. It was equipped with electric start and I thought that I might be able to put the electric start on a GC190 engine I have. Turns out that doesn't appear to be possible. However, the flywheel looks very similar, if not exactly, like the GXV160 aluminum flywheel that NR Racing sells.

Flywheel, Aluminum, Honda, GX200

Now I know that they aren't the same because the part numbers are different. The GCV160 could have come with 2 aluminum brake flywheels. One is the Phelon coil one and the other is the Tec coil one. I have the Phelon version which is also the discontinued version. I was wondering what was the difference? I am going to try to runs this on one of my clones. I assume I have to keep the matching coil for it to run.

Phelon Flywheel

31105-Z0L-010 HONDA FLYWHEEL ASSY. (Honda Code 7489651)

Tec Flywheel

31105-ZM0-000 HONDA FLYWHEEL ASSY. (Honda Code 5580667) $43.15

Wheew... Confused yet? Hoping this doesn't have a rev limiter and that the coil bolts up.

rmm727

Update.

Bolted on the Phelon GCV160 flywheel tonight. It fits. Taper matches as well. (lapped it to verify) Coil is different from the clone one. It has a center leg in addition to the outer two. The plug wire was to short to reach the plug so I twisted it off to find out it doesn't have a screw to thread on another one. So...it will be coming off. Oh well. It was worth a shot.

rmm727

I don't really have much trouble with working on this stuff. I was hoping that maybe there was a Honda trained small engine mechanic on here that knew the difference between the 2 flywheels or why there were 2 to begin with.

rmm727

Just for giggles I tried the stock coil with the gcv160 flywheel and got no spark. So after I took that off, I finally put on my new PVL flywheel. :thumbsup: