Some simple mods I've done.

I've done so many mods now, it's hard to keep track, but back to the straight pipe.
I was using the original heat shield, up until just a few days ago when I went for about a 30 mile ride.
When I was getting off the bike at home, I slightly toasted my leg. Looking down, I saw that the shield decided to part ways with me somewhere out in the desert tundra.

I called a friend of mine who came up and took matters over. This is what he came up with.

After looking at it the next morning............................................

I think he was a little too 4:20, and was just looking for a quick solution.

So, after coffee this morning, I decided it just wasn't happening, and made a new one myself.
Here's what I came up with after someone else suggested I model it after the M1919A4.

That looks 100% better than the factory shield. Have you thought about wrapping it? With the shield it should keep you legs and dogs safe.
Wrap it? Why would I want to do that? AFAIC that wrapping looks awful. This shield should stay plenty cool. The exhaust pipe is all the way to the bike side of the shield.
I'll know for sure after a ride tomorrow.

Wrap the pipe and then put the shield back over the wrap. You wont see it but it will help even more where you need it the most. Make sure you wet the wrap thoroughly then wrap it as tight as you can get it. Over lap the start 1 1/2 wraps and clamp the finish down tight. When it heats it will tighten even more and never move. I don't like the looks of it either but a black wrap would never show under that black shield. Which I think looks real nice by the way. I have 2 of these warriors and I think I will do mine this way. The wife likes hers to be left alone.......

Which I think looks real nice by the way. I have 2 of these warriors and I think I will do mine this way. The wife likes hers to be left alone.......
That's funny.
I bought my wife a used one and she doesn't want me to touch it either, but she's never ridden mine.:biggrin:
Her bike was owned by a very LARGE gal. Just about everything on the drive side is close to shot.
Whether she likes it or not, soon she'll be getting a TC, new chain, and rear sprocket. Right now the bike is stock. She does want a real tank like mine though, but told me not to order it yet.

I should have taken pics along the way, but alas, I didn't think about it.
I saw some heat shields on Chinabay. They all attached with hose clamps, so I ran with that idea.

I'm pretty sure this will stay pretty cool. If not, I will consider wrapping the pipe with black (since I guess it exists)
I thought neo was talking about wrapping the whole thing.

Thanks for your compliment.

Naw black doesn't stand out as bad as the other colors. As stated just under the shield it shouldn't be very noticeable.

The way I understand on air cooled engines you are supposed to start wrapping it at least 3 inches from the head. Something about wrapping it close to the head holds too much heat and causes head problems.

Last edited:
All good your having fun, I have same Harley, wrap is just a Kool factor, But also agree that done correctly it will reduce heat. and help combustion of motor, exhausting.... its easily fuked up also creates high temps in places that would be naturally kool?