spark plug for b&s

Hey guys,

I was wondering if i can put an E3 diamond fire spark plug in my 5hp briggs and stratton? my motor is running on unleaded gas with just a header not a racing motor (govenor still on)...its just a toy to fool around on. Just wanna do it to see if i get more power and better fuel economy.

I seen a vid on youtube of a kid with an E3 in his motor but it looked more like a race setup..

Yea u can run one just make sure their the right size. but you wont get any noticable power or fuel improvments. But its worth it because u get a stonger spark and such.

You can run it if you cross-reference the plug number......

I remember when the "Splitfire" plugs came out like 15 years ago.....must not make much of a difference if they aren't the standard.

I guess they claim you will see an improvment in gas mileage......

I remember someone saying they work well with ignition boxes that send multiple sparks per power cycle.

the small ones for go karts and lawnmowers foul out too easy:hammer: they arent good at all ive bout 2 and now im using a reliable champion plug that lasts and only cost 2 bucks instead of 5 :thumbsup:,and i agree with minibikefreak you wont notice any thing different with it accept more problems. the car sized ones might work idk but u will need lots of those spark plug rings

@Cyanide So they foul out even on a stock engine with stock carb and the jetting set right?
Thats stupid the company claims to say there great! That pisses me off...idk maybe they need to work on there spark plugs for small engines...

yeah, i tried switching my weedwhacker, and lawnmower over on thier summer tune-ups,

the lawmower got the E3-10 and the weedwhacker got the E3-12,

the weedwhacker and lawnmower were a bitch to start after like 3 runs, and the weedwhacker never idled right,

the following week i switched over back to my tried and true RCJ6Y in the weedwhacker and J19LM in the lawnmower, perfect...:thumbsup:

in would never buy them again,

65ShelbyClone

you wont get any noticable power or fuel improvments. But its worth it because u get a stonger spark and such.
Contradictory, no?

The E3 plugs are like Splitfire plugs are like Bosch Platinum +2s and +4s; the basic design of multiple ground electrodes has been around for the last 100 years and still there are still no engine manufacturers that use them.

Yes, I said 100 years.

Yeah I had a mechanic tell me that the way electricity works, it will find the shortest/quickest route possible. Meaning that if one prong is closer to the center it will spark more often then the other prong. The measurment is so small it is almost impossible to make both prongs exactly the same distance from the center.

hey, but its a great way to sell plugs over the competition to people who dont know much,

and 5horse, your right, electricity takes the shortest path from the source to a ground,

and the idea of manipulating a spark into an X pattern across 4 grounds is pretty difficult,like in the bosch 4 prong, if not impossible to do, its such a tight wound burst or electricity, and it wont split up very much, :thumbsup:

65ShelbyClone

hey, but its a great way to sell plugs over the competition to people who dont know much,
Exactly how oil companies market engine oil based on fear of sludge. The general population (and even many gearheads) aren't aware that oils and additive packages had improved enough to make sludge a thing of the past by the early 1980s. A very small handful of specific engines are prone to sludge formation due to design flaws and extremely poor maintenance can cause it, but engine oils in general have not been a direct cause of sludge for decades now. Despite that, the next oil ad you see or hear will probably mention the "threat" of sludge. Pennzoil and Castrol are particularly guilty.

/rant

Another gimmick sparkplug that came to mind is the Pulstar. They say that a regular plug only outputs 50W of peak energy while theirs outputs 1,000,000(with no additional energy input from anywhere). :rolleyes: The only way that can be done is by storing the spark energy and releasing it in a shorter burst. That's fine, but it has little to no benefit over a spark of longer duration. If there is a lot of swirl or tumble in the chamber, a longer spark can actually be better for fast ignition. That is the idea behind the multiple spark aftermarket ignition boxes for cars.

@Cyanide So they foul out even on a stock engine with stock carb and the jetting set right?
Thats stupid the company claims to say there great! That pisses me off...idk maybe they need to work on there spark plugs for small engines...
yeah and on my modified briggs they foul out after 5 or 6 start ups