speeco 6.5 swap on a db30 ..?..

i picked up a new speeco 6.5 at TSC i am going to swap the 6.5 for the stock 2.8 on my db

to me this "speeco 6.5hp" looks just like the lifan 6.5 on the baja warrior, and many other new snow blowers and whatnot. is this motor a Chinese clone? is it a lifan?
is the swap similar to the info on the lifan 6.5 swap provided here on this fourm?
i really appreciate the help.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/outdoo...s/speeco-196cc-6-5-hp-gasoline-engine-1026588

Last edited:
Welcome to the site! :thumbsup: Most likely made by lifan, I've heard good things about the black clones such as lack of surging at WOT with the throttle stop screw backed out a bit. And an honest 3600revs making an honest 6.5hp unklike the inconsistant HF engines. Yes it will mount the same as the HF clone will also!:thumbsup:

sweet thanks for the info.

the engine dose not have a threaded hole on the shaft, it has a hole 3/8 deep like a dimple in the center of shaft, no threading.

my question is what is a proper thread size and depth to keep my clutch saftly mounted to the shaft, the shaft is 3/4 inch with a key way, i have access to a threading die, just looking for a good recommendation for a bolt.

stainless steel, with a lock washer and washer...?:scooter:

idk on the die size but most new clutches have the bolt and tsc should have a thread guide to tell you the size ie. 20 count ect. the install should be the same. i hear the blacks are close to the same as ducor yellow non-bsp. good luck:thumbsup:

That's unusual not to have threads, it's not a stepped or tapered shaft is it? Some pics would help but if it's a straight 3/4 shaft the set screws will hold the clutch on but I'd dimple and drill the set screw holes for a better bite, not any deeper than 1/8" just enough for the screws to bite.:thumbsup:

or if u r not useing a clutch with set screws u can take it to a machine shop to drill and thread the shaft and any size bolt and washer will work well as long as it is centered i too am working on the 6.5 speeco swap on a db30 and im completed on it just trying to get the engine to run again lol oh ya to help center the engine in the frame put the clutch on backwards and take ur time lining up the engine in the frame.

Odds are the reason it doesn't have threads is that it is made as a replacement for the Special Products (speeco) log splitter that came out with that engine on it. Otherwise it is the same motor as a Lifan and should work the same way.

C9H13NO3

sweet thanks for the info.

the engine dose not have a threaded hole on the shaft, it has a hole 3/8 deep like a dimple in the center of shaft, no threading.

my question is what is a proper thread size and depth to keep my clutch saftly mounted to the shaft, the shaft is 3/4 inch with a key way, i have access to a threading die, just looking for a good recommendation for a bolt.

stainless steel, with a lock washer and washer...?:scooter:
You can drill and tap a 5/16-24 or 5/16-18 threads in it and it will be fine. Stainless steel isn't necessary, the lock washer and washer should be used if possible.

i got the speeco swap fillay done oon mine and it is great almost to much power lol i will be posting pics of mine as soon as i can figure out the phone lol got a ratio of six turns on the clutch to one turnd of the wheel one the stock db30 tire 3800 rmps on engine if any one would know how fast that is please let me know

Ps my girl would put me in the dog house if she saw how fast it goes lmao

Last edited:
if you want, pm me and i'll get the pics up for you. you can just email them to me which will be easier than trying to post them on here from a phone.

check out the Honda/clone section. there's a speed calculator stickied in there. you need to know the rpm, circumference of the tire and the amount of teeth on the sprockets. if i remember correctly, the circumference of a slightly worn DB tire is about 44"-45". that should at least give you a ball park number on the speed. the only way to really verify it is with GPS or radar. the calculator assumes perfect conditions and don't take weight/drag into account. i was doing 43mph according to GPS and that's what the calculator showed. my gearing was limiting me quite a bit at that point though.

Last edited: