Speedometer For a Mini????

Has anyone ever seen a Universal type Speedometer that can be used on a Mini? I'm looking for something that can be programmed or calibrated for different size wheels, not an OEM one preset for a particular bike. All the Motorcycle ones I've looked at are designed for large wheels, and I haven't found one that would work on 6-10" Minibike wheels. I have to think someone makes one. Thanks!

Eagle

Hard to find a universal mechanical speedo(if even possible?). Try looking for a new style GPS speedo. (calculates speed based on your relationship to a satellite.)

Ive literally used my GPS unit (tomtom) to guage speed.

I got a bunch of Bicycle speedos off of ebay from hog kong for 9 bucks apiece. they will work with a tire diameter as small as 60CM which is 23 inches in circumference. Only issue with them is every time battery wears out you have to set up circumfrernce again and you must use a resistor plug or the EMI from the ignition will screw with it while engine is running.

Thanks for the replies Guys, I have looked at the GPS type Speedo's Cubenzo but the price turned me off. Now that unit you pointed out Dave looks to be just the ticket. What's really nice is how the Odometer is not resettable and makes it a legal speedo for a street driven bike, I'm going to pick one of those up. Having a Tach on the gauge along with temp sensor is a big plus. Thanks.

Eagle

You may wish to check out CHP Motorsports, Honda mini trail spedo unit, Z194-3 and drive unit, Z194-16. Intended to be installed in a headlight shell or bucket, it's designed for 8" rims. Good luck.

-Doug

Gatecrasher

You may wish to check out CHP Motorsports, Honda mini trail spedo unit, Z194-3 and drive unit, Z194-16. Intended to be installed in a headlight shell or bucket, it's designed for 8" rims. Good luck.

-Doug
Yeah I was checking those out on eBay. Might try one on one of my KV75s since the wheels are the same diameter.

jprice

OldMiniBikes.com
Thanks for the replies Guys, I have looked at the GPS type Speedo's Cubenzo but the price turned me off. Now that unit you pointed out Dave looks to be just the ticket. What's really nice is how the Odometer is not resettable and makes it a legal speedo for a street driven bike, I'm going to pick one of those up. Having a Tach on the gauge along with temp sensor is a big plus. Thanks.

Eagle
what about when the battery dies?

I got a bunch of Bicycle speedos off of ebay from hog kong for 9 bucks apiece. they will work with a tire diameter as small as 60CM which is 23 inches in circumference. Only issue with them is every time battery wears out you have to set up circumfrernce again and you must use a resistor plug or the EMI from the ignition will screw with it while engine is running.
i had that problem when i put one on my benelli. It worked pretty good for a while and once in a while it would just reset on its own. I tried a few different brands. they were like $14. from walmart. Ill have to look into that resistor mod.

markus

If you can verify that you can manually set the WS (wheel speed/circumference ) into it you can use it on whatever size tire. WS= wheel diameter in cm x 3.14 was the formula for a sigma BC 400 unit that My Di blasi used from the factory it was a street legal 50cc folding mini bike with 5" wheels: