Speedway speedometer installation

Hi,
I have a fairly original 1971 Speedway Shark with 10" chrome wheels which I would like to add a vintage VDO speedometer to. The problem is how to mount a speedometer sender, the wheel hub is about 1-7/8" diameter and there's no room between the fork end and the wheel to squeeze anything in between without some machine work.
Can anyone share their experience with adding a vintage mechanical speedometer to a Speedway mini bike front wheel?
Thank you!

The original kits for these came with a new wheel center with one side of the bearing hub being shorter than the other-it basically looks like it is just offset. Also the spacer in between the bearings is shorter.

Speedway speedometer

Thank you both for responding. I would like the "old school" look, so adding a vintage needle type speedometer is what I hope to do. I am thinking of having a machine shop cut down one side of my hubs, moving the bearing in and cutting the spacer shorter. I would love to see a picture of an original, so I know what I'm looking for. Any additional help or info is much appreciated. Thank you again!