Sportsman Pak Mule rear sprocket/wheel problem

While riding around today the chain and rear sprocket began to spin freely independent of the rear rim. I thought at first I lost some bolts....but it appears the rear sprocket/brake drum combo separated from the rim. Anyone know about this rear wheel set up? Looks like it just needs to be spot welded back together on the outside of the brake drum area.

Oldsalt

That would certainly be the cure. If it were me I'd fit it back together as closely as possible and then place very small weld 'tacks' on three of the six locations. Then put the axle in a bench vice and put the wheel on the axle and spin it to see if any adjustments are needed to get the drum concentric with the axle.

Just sayin'. From your past posts I know you are pretty sharp and probably know how to go about it.

That would certainly be the cure. If it were me I'd fit it back together as closely as possible and then place very small weld 'tacks' on three of the six locations. Then put the axle in a bench vice and put the wheel on the axle and spin it to see if any adjustments are needed to get the drum concentric with the axle.

Just sayin'. From your past posts I know you are pretty sharp and probably know how to go about it.
Come to think of it I noticed the rear wheel had a good wobble/not true so it was already coming loose before it let go after 20 min of riding - thankfully it let loose in my yard and not a few miles away. I was wondering how a solid wheel as heavy duty as this one could not be true unless Evel Knievel owned it. Thanks for the advice.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting this. I have a Bearkat with the same type hub and am trying to re-gear it.Never new how it was assembled till now.

After thinking about it for a few hours these "offset" hubs are or seem agricultural my dad said they looked like the drives on sprinkler systems from that era.replicating that hub system is a huge question in my mind. I want to change mine from a 60 tooth #50 chain to a 72 tooth sprocket to give me enough torque to deal with the terrain here. Insight into this would be awesome.

Oldsalt

After thinking about it for a few hours these "offset" hubs are or seem agricultural my dad said they looked like the drives on sprinkler systems from that era.replicating that hub system is a huge question in my mind. I want to change mine from a 60 tooth #50 chain to a 72 tooth sprocket to give me enough torque to deal with the terrain here. Insight into this would be awesome.
Maybe the easiest way to do it would be to buy a 72 tooth sprocket and bore it out to snugly fit over the original 60 tooth. Weld or bolt them together. There are 'overlay' sprockets available for motorcycles but probably none for standard 50 chain....rice grinders are metric crap.