Spring Chain Tensioner for DB30's

Hi there fellas, I just built this spring chain tensioner for my DB30 today and thought I would share. It is just a 3'' peice of flat steel with 2 holes drilled in it, one at each end, about a 1/4'' away from the edge. The rest of the hardware is stock to the DB30. The spring is just a universal one you can get at any auto parts store. Hope this is useful to some of you. :thumbsup:

Mine is similar, many have gone to the spring loaded tensioner. Looks good Clayon!:thumbsup: My chain still has not broken and it can be lifted 1/4" off the rear sprocket it's so worn out. The spring loaded tensioner is all that keeps it on, if it were allowed to slap it would throw it. Usually in the mud if the chain is loose a bit it's gone but not now, I will have clamp on ones eventually for my bikes that have no provision for one. I swear by em.:thumbsup:

I did recently speak to Brad at Hot Rod Minibikes about the spring loaded chain tensioner. He said he tried to make one work correctly however, on deceleration it flapped around and threw the chain. He has not yet developed the tensioner he thinks or feels is suitable to put his name on. He is a great guy and will continue to do research and development on this needed item..

TT :thumbsup: to Brad..

Last edited:
http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/doodlebug-minibikes/57908-question-about-chain-tensioner.html

this is where there is a pic of mine. i finished it on the 23 of February. threw the chain yesterday. dont know if it was the tensioner or not. master link clip went missing. put a new chain on today. i will see what happens. i kinda just slapped my tensioner together. it has a little of slop so maybe that's what caused the clip to come off? i dont know. really seems like a great idea. not taking mine off yet. just gonna make it better.

TTS

I did recently speak to Brad at Hot Rod Minibikes about the spring loaded chain tensioner. He said he tried to make one work correctly however, on deceleration it flapped around and and threw the chain. He has not yet developed the tensioner he thinks or feels is suitable to put his name on. He is a great guy and will continue to do research and development on this needed item..

TT :thumbsup: to Brad..
That's weird, I'll have to tell him my idea and a couple more for the DB aftermarket. Mine has the exact opposite effect and is truly ridden daily and ridden like it was stolen, it has a cheap chain that has stretched beyond belief. Maybe it's the angle and the fact mine does not exert any more force than is needed to keep it from jumping. Not the first mod to come along that works for some but not for others.:doah:

I am surprised he is having trouble with the tightener flapping around and throwing the chain. Mine doesn't do that one bit, and I use mine lot and ride it hard for it having a 3hp. I guess Brad is probably using his tightener on a DB30 with a clone. All I know is when ProMod starts selling their chain tightener it will be top notch. :thumbsup:

I am all in for building a better mousetrap. If you guy's can give Brad the heads up and it takes, your both doing a service to the community..:thumbsup:

TT