Standard conversion clutch

Tom S

What is the prefered brand of clutch for the 6.5 conversions on these and how many tooth clutch works good with the stock rear sproket and a 200lbs guy? Any advantage to say comet over max-torque? I know the TAV2 has lots of advantages but if a regular clutch will get the job well done...........

Tom

Tom S

Well a couple of different opinions there. How about a few others and some thoughts on tooth count for the front clutch?

Tom

if you decide to use a clutch and not a TAV you'll be fine with a Comet or Max Torque. usually a 12t clutch works well with a 60t sprocket.

i prefer the Max Torque one because i've had 2 Comet ones end up breaking on me. the springs inside ended up snapping. this might be because of my riding style though.

Last edited:
Well a couple of different opinions there. How about a few others and some thoughts on tooth count for the front clutch?

Tom
I use a max torque 11 tooth but I dont ride the hell out of mine either. It seems to work great, plenty of low end and it is about as fast as I want to go.

Not to hi-jack the thread, but since were on the subject of clutches. I'm in the market for one myself. I built a 6.5hp clone that should be somewhere around 13-15hp. What do you guy's suggest I use to handle the additional power & torque? I was reading up on the SMC Vortex twin disc & it seems to be a decent set up with easy adjustability. And the other one that caught my eye was the X-5 made by a company called Horstman. Are these decent pieces & I'm not really sure if these would be overkill or not??? There pretty pricey & if using this type of clutch is not really needed for my set up then I would be open to other options?