Stellar

Picked this up from Cheezy several months ago, and have been slowly hammering away at it. I have several photos in my Stellar Folder here.

The frame required several repairs. I added some things such as welded on brake lug, and fitments for brake and throttle cable to avoid frame clamps. I had to slug and splice both handlebar ends, true top frame, and a bunch of other things I can't remember.
Stand is a modified Rupp. No foot pegs, feet go on non-skid on the frames.

Manchester rebuilt an original Stellar seat. She did a great job. Paint is some leftover PPG from my Dodge from 2001. I had several issues with the paint process including a compressor that quit in the middle of the job. Result is the worst paint job I've ever done. "Stellar" logo is hand painted and cleared.

Power is from a fresh A400 Clinton. A two stroke motor, with tricked out exhaust and rock guard. Carb is a float-type Tecumseh clone where I added a throttle arm to lengthen. It all works well, although I keep having intermittent float sticks. Clutch is special order Max. No governor, and top speed is a bit over 20 MPH. Pulls fine with 10t Max and 60t sprocket. The new brakes Cheezy supplied will lock up and stop the bike.

Aim was to keep the weight down with such a small motor.

that bike sucks!!!!!!!!!!........jk.........you dont like compliments so i thought i would say that........really ......you do know how to make em sweet.......

Picked this up from Cheezy several months ago, and have been slowly hammering away at it. I have several photos in my Stellar Folder here.

The frame required several repairs. I added some things such as welded on brake lug, and fitments for brake and throttle cable to avoid frame clamps. I had to slug and splice both handlebar ends, true top frame, and a bunch of other things I can't remember.
Stand is a modified Rupp. No foot pegs, feet go on non-skid on the frames.

Manchester rebuilt an original Stellar seat. She did a great job. Paint is some leftover PPG from my Dodge from 2001. I had several issues with the paint process including a compressor that quit in the middle of the job. Result is the worst paint job I've ever done. "Stellar" logo is hand painted and cleared.

Power is from a fresh A400 Clinton. A two stroke motor, with tricked out exhaust and rock guard. Carb is a float-type Tecumseh clone where I added a throttle arm to lengthen. It all works well, although I keep having intermittent float sticks. Clutch is special order Max. No governor, and top speed is a bit over 20 MPH. Pulls fine with 10t Max and 60t sprocket. The new brakes Cheezy supplied will lock up and stop the bike.

Aim was to keep the weight down with such a small motor.

I have to say that the old girl looked pretty rough in the first pic Dave. But with the new paint color and Manny new seat ...it looks great ! But the engine design and color really makes it stand out from other bikes. Very Nice build Dave ! :thumbsup:

ANY CHANCE FOR A RIDE VIDEO ???

Last edited:

CarPlayLB

Very nice Dave! Now ya got me thinking about a West Bend 580 powered Stellar! Damn you Dave!

Did you do the motor? It really looks nice!

Again, that is a classic good looking ride

I do appreciate the comments. I kept away from a "build thread" because either you already know how to do it, or you pay someone else to do it, or you don't do it. It's not worth post after post of tedious welding and grinding photos....in my case, mostly grinding...and in this case, I should have paid someone to paint it.

I got the engine from OldMiniBikes member Hotrodricky, who some of us remember as the guy who included McCulloch porting information in his build off thread before he was disqualified. I was shocked when he offered me a rebuilt A400 complete for about half of what I've been seeing them go for, complete. He also provided some helpful tuning and rigging hints, and is one of the nicest guys I have ever met.

As time goes on, I am witnessing the end of an era. A $99 motor from China has more appeal than a vintage motor, and the nostalgia some of us associate with these little things is all but gone. Look at this photo, and see if it trips your trigger. I had the opportunity to speak with Mel recently on his bike, and those days at Summer Camp in PA over 50 years ago.

So yeah, it's small, it's slow, it's noisy. But can you imagine being 14 years old in 1961 and getting to take one of these things to Summer Camp in the mountains? According to Mel, he was a hero. That's all I will say about that. I'll try and get a video, to appease some of you who are wondering just how well a 40-plus year old two stroke will pull a 240 pound baby boomer.

It doesn't matter to me. When I ride it, I am a kid again, getting my first taste of engine-powered, two-wheeled freedom.

zeeman

Stellar Job! I like it a lot. I think it looks great without the fenders since you have it all minimalized, but fenders would look good too. I'm going to get my Stellar running again soon. You have inspired me.