Stock Baja Racer will not idle.

nm1

Hi,
I have a stock Baja Racer 97cc that will not idle with the choke off. It idles fine with the choke on, but of course will not throttle up. It does not idle even with half choke. It will run well if I hold the throttle on and turn the choke off, but the second I let go of the throttle, it dies. I have been through the cab. many times and cleaned the main jet as well as the idle jet below the idle adjustment screw. I have also tried adjusting the idle/ air mixture screw after prying the black limiter cap off with no results. I am stupmed at this point after cleaning the carb. many times and adjusting as well as trying fresh gas and a new spark plug (NGK BPMR6A). It also does not matter how long I let the engine idle on choke, the second I turn the choke off, it dies.
Please help.
Thank you

nm1

Got it,
I just wanted to tell about a possible fix. Yesterday, I figured I had nothing to lose, so I drilled out the jet underneath the idle adjustment screw (the jet pressed into the plastic tube). Actually, I did not have the right sized drill bit, so I chucked a needle into a drill and it worked. The minibike started up on the first pull with choke on, and when I turned the choke off, it idled great. It runs better than it ever has and the best part is I don't have to run it on half choke.
Hope this helps others.

Had the same problem. I removed the carb, then removed the fuel bowl, jet and emulsion tube. Clean all the ports. Remove the idle jet and clean the inlet hole. Set the idle jet at two turns out. Start the motor and let it warm up and fine tune the idle jet and idle speed screw. Mine now starts on the first pull and idles with the choke off.

Tom

I bought a Doodle Bug with a 97cc Baja motor last March for my kids to ride. It was a real hit last summer. They love it. At about the end of the season it started having the idle issues that seem to be common. Well I drained the gas out and put it up for the winter and now it will not start at all. It has good fire. Carb is clean, fresh gas, but not the first hit when I crank it. I can't see anything else that would cause this. Its driving me crazy. I even tried starter fluid. Still not one hit. Any suggestions??

Make Sure to always change your spark plugs every year. I'm now trying to figure out how to fix the pull mechanism as the kids made it stuck this weekend. Any ideas? I took off the cover/cord mechanism and it is pulling just fine, although quite gas drenched from the constant no seal issue of the gas caps on both of the bikes.
-James
Baja Racer 97cc Green Machines