Street Legal Dirt Bug-The Quest!

good luck

Depends where you live,best route is the most backwoods little town.They wont know if your speedo works or not.I have experience doing this with dirt bikes and a rail.lights with a battery so they work when the engine is off.Bulb style squeegee horn ,bicycle mirror.You need a switch hooked up so you have a brake light.Insurance?is it needed to get it legal,need proof?If the man looks at the floor and mumbles anything about presidents be prepared!

Depends where you live,best route is the most backwoods little town.They wont know if your speedo works or not.I have experience doing this with dirt bikes and a rail.lights with a battery so they work when the engine is off.Bulb style squeegee horn ,bicycle mirror.You need a switch hooked up so you have a brake light.Insurance?is it needed to get it legal,need proof?If the man looks at the floor and mumbles anything about presidents be prepared!
Problem is in Oh we have "Inspection Stations" I have been down this road before with a truck I totaled. (FYI Never EVER switch vin plates when rebuilding a truck) But I may end up with some connections so see what happens.

Uhh Ohh, Distraction from the Quest!

Danged ol racin' bug bit me AGAIN! Aint turned a lap since '07 and that was Late Models, then this follows me home!:pimp:

In most states you can get a title and do your registration much the same as if you built a car from a kit, only difference is you list yourself as the mfg or builder.
There is already a serial number on the frame, just record the bike as home built and assign that number to it, usually on the forms you can put in a number or the state will assign you a number (depends on the state).
If you would like to see a very small slim battery check out security light batteries as some are no more then 2 inches wide by about 7 long and are 12 volt gel cost about 15-30$, use any small charger to charge that has a gel setting. They can run a headlight for over an hour easy. Bad side is some states require all motorized bikes over ??cc etc to have a pulsating headlight, even for day use (think $$ for big expensive electric switching relay).
Check out the solid state turn signal relays as the relay is the big user of power on a turn signal, and might even look at LED turn signals and tail/brake light bulbs just to save on the power drain.

Last edited:
Ok, lots going on, getting the kart, 25 yr HS reunion I have been helping plan, work, garden, Finally got something for the Dirt Bug. This came in the mail today, Ebay special. Light switch, turn signal, horn all in one switch.

Ok, and one of the Kart with my # and business on it. :shrug::laugh::biggrin:

This is what I have to work with in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts:

Any two-wheeled tandem or three wheeled device that has handlebars, can be stood or sat upon by the operator and is powered by an electric or gas powered motor is defined as a Motorized Scooter.

The Massachusetts RMV does not register motorized scooters because they are not recognized as motor vehicles. In addition, motorized scooters have many operating restrictions:

•They cannot be operated at speeds greater than 20mph.
•Cannot be ridden on state highways or limited access roadways.
•Cannot be ridden after dark or before sunrise.
•Operators cannot carry passengers.
•Operators must be 16 years of age and have a valid driver's license or learner's permit.
•Operators must keep to the right side of public ways at all times, including when passing a motor vehicle.
•Operators must use the proper electronic and hand signals before stopping or turning.
•Operators must wear an approved safety helmet.
•Operators are subject to all state traffic laws and regulations
*Mini-motorcycles and pocket bikes have been determined to be motorized scooters.

Dont ya hate it when someone starts a thread and gets ya excited and then.....

nothing? :shrug:
Me too!:laugh: I havn't forgotten about it, just got lots going on. With the racing go kart that took my time and excitement for a while. Doing pretty well with it to, got some heat and even a feature win and able to run up front with good competition. And I got a new shop!:thumbsup: The place was abondoned for a long time so I had a jungle of weeds to get under control and some windows to cover up. Plus the Dirt Bug got temporraily shiped to the brothers house for his kids to play on for a while. But I finally closed on the new shop and got the DB30 back after we got back from the Brown's victory over Miami. With racing winding down and a new shop I can get back to work on this project.
Here are some pics of the new shop, 1st one as I found it:

As I have it now, neighbors say it hasn't looked this good in years:

The shop as it's getting set up, SO MUCH ROOM!!:pimp:

Been moving in since wed, electrical inspection is tomorow, so should have power within a few days, even 220 for the welder!:grind:

What happened? UPDATE, UPDATE!!!

Well, as I was taking my Father to the doctor, I passed a guy that was in the turning lane going in the opposite direction riding what appeared to be a street legal (???) mini bike. I did not get a great look at it, but it was definitely a mini bike. It had a license plate and all the lights, bells, and whistles to be street legal that I could tell. I wanted to whip my truck around so bad and follow him. Now it is bugging me. Why did I have to see that?

The closest bike I have seen on the road that is legal is the Honda Monkey Z50. It sticks in my mind due to seeing large Men on such a small bike.I assume the Monkey bikes come with a title making it easier to get on the road? Had one when I was a kid,fun little things.