Stretched Manco Thunderbird Finally Done

Thought you guys would enjoy a pic of my Stretched Thunderbird. It was a quick project comnpared to the other full size bikes sitting half finished in the garage. It has a 5 inch stretch and I dumped the original seat set up in favor of a rigid set up made up from some 1/8" plate I had a friend cut out with his plasma cutter. The Clutch cover was originally a disc brake off a cheap pocket bike. The sprocket, rims, front end, and handlebars are original other than sandblast and repaint. The gas tank was originally an oil catch can from a small nascar team here in North Carolina. Muffler is OEM from an 8hp Briggs. Engine is a 6 hp from Northern Tool. I picked it up on a water pump that had been returned by a customer for $50. Clutch is a Hilliard. Chain is a 41.

[/URL][/IMG]

Clutch Cover

I think the clutch cover came out really good for a few pieces of scrap metal. The hex standoff pieces that are between the pitbike rotor and the round plate bolted to the engine are some sort of lathe or mill stadoffs. I found them on ebay for like $8 for a pack of 8. They are hex aluminum, 2.5 inches long, and have a threaded post on one end and a threaded bung on the other.

[/URL][/IMG]

really nice job you did love it, hugh rear sprocket I know it wheelies! what do you plan on using it for? how about pic of other side?

zeeman

Very nice build. I have always admired that style Manco wheels. I used a Tbird to build something a little different. I believe it's in a thread called Man Company something or other.

that clutch cover is cool looking (and i hate 99% of the ones out there).

having to brake with my left foot would throw me off though. my brain thinks "right foot brake" in any kind of panic situation on a bike with a foot brake.

Great job. I noticed you have some U shaped bolts on the handle bars. I was trying to come up with a way to secure mine without having to buy some risers. Do the bolts hold the bars really secure? thanks

Thanks for the comments guys

Thanks for all the great comments guys. I just put the rear wheel on last night so I still have some fine tuning to do. I noticed there are 2 spots where the chain is rubbing so I will have to do some adjusting this weeeknd.

I think the bike came with some sort of riser for the handlebar originally but it was long gone when I got the bike. The U bolts were from Ace Hardware and were like $1.50 each. They seem to hold just fine and lined up perfectly witht he existing holes. I haven't ridden it real hard yet but I think they will hold up.

thats awesome. you think the added length will help keep the front tire on the ground more? even though with a rider most of the weight will still be on the back.

$1.50, thats what I'm talking about, lol. I really dont want to spend much on this old rusty, bent, frame I have. Let us know how the bars hold out. Someone else on here previously used U bolts and his bars were loose. I dont know what he ever did to fix his in the end.

I really like the creative clutch cover....

fwiw......my thunderbird has u-bolts holding on the handlebars too. it was like that when i got it, i assumed it was original but maybe not? They hold the bars just fine.

Took for first test ride

So I took the Thunderbird for its first test ride after a couple of small fixes for chain clearance. I was surprised at how peppy the 6 hp clone was. I weigh 270 and the acceleration (once rolling) was a lot more than I expected. I tested it out on some uneven rolling hills and it will climb a 20 degree incline.

Now for a way to rid my 4 year old with me. I'll be posting pics but I am going to add a removable footrest and handlebar where he can site on the seat in front of me and have his own place for feet/hands.

This is my first minibike as an adult... and man I love it.... these things are such fun.....