Strocker motor

vwfan79

Looked up the parts list and it's only about $250 in parts which is nothing. Will probably place an order this weekend and start going to town. I think this thing will be a monster.

Im building my first stroker motor and was curious if any of you engine guys had any tips/advice you are willing to share. This season's drag motor is gonna be a stroker on methanol, a GX160 stroker that is. The goal is to build a GX160 that will run 9s and hit 70mph in the 1/8.
Last year I played with the tav all season and had a blast launching like a rocket but this year is the need for speed. I'll be running a disc clutch which will help out with this and my head was redone. I hit 58mph last year and now it would have been higher with a clutch, I tried one for a minute and it pulled like crazy.
NRracing has a kit that comes with rod, crank, piston, wrist pin and clips, advertised to make it a 180cc motor. Let me know if you have any tips/advice.
I don't know of they even make the long rod combo for those motors but I would run that, buy arcs ultralight flywheel,get your head done up by someone that knows aboytbthese motors remember bigger is not alwase better, throw in a 315" can with a pair of 1.3 rocker, 37lb springs 28mm mikuni on meth, you pick the rest...

vwfan79

So I placed my parts order yesterday and decided to go a step further. I ordered a 200 crank and the arc rod I listed but went with a different piston, I got the wiseco 2.815 piston. This will give me a 230cc gx160, talked to my machinist today and he will be getting my block and piston on Thursday or Friday. Not only is he going to bore it he is welding a plate on top of the block to reenforce the area I have to clearance for the swing of the rod. I might be taking this to far but I figure let see how crazy of a gx160 I can build.
Jamie I've got the rest figured out and I can say nothing on your list is in there. Head is done cam is a .350 lift springs are 60# dual setup and carb is a 24mm flat slide mikuni on meth.

Nick can you give me a list of the parts you bought for the 160 , the crank , piston and rod . A have thought about it an want to build you also with my 160 , also the big piston sounds good to . Did you buy a Honda crank ?

Nick on the NR site a 196cc GX200 with the 2.815 piston nets 217 cc , which is good . But 230 cc is even better . Which is right where did your info come from . Oh and by the way I found the parts list in this thread .

vwfan79

Yup parts list is in this thread the only change I made to it was the larger piston. I was told that the gx200 crank makes the 160 into a 196 and by boring it to the 2.815 makes it a 230cc. I haven't done the math myself so my numbers my be wrong, this is what I was told by a trusted source. I did not buy a Honda crank I bought a BSP crank, oh the 230 may be if you use the BSP max stroke crank.

vwfan79

Also here a few pics and I do not need to clearance the to of my block, but may need to clearance the top of the cylinder. Won't know for sure if I have to clearance anything until I get it bored. Pics aren't the best but actually have a 1/4" from rod to the top of the block.

I'll never put money into another predator it not worth it. Quality is poor and inconsistent, the extra cc is not worth it.
If you're doing a full out build when you're only using the block then it would be a waste of money. IMO wasting money would be buying a GX engine and gutting everything to replace it with all new billet parts and not using any of the factory stuff. I don't think there's much difference in a $350 engine case vs a $99 engine case. But that's just my outlook. Anywho good luck on your build, it looks really solid. Now I can race you with my stock 97cc doodle bug lol j/k.

Last edited:

vwfan79

There is a big difference between a $99 predator block and a $350 Honda block. The quality of the aluminum used and the tolerance in which each is cast. People will even put a Honda side cover on clones for extra strength. I haven't paid over $50 for any of my gx160s so I'm still cheaper then a predator and 10 times the quality.

There is a big difference between a $99 predator block and a $350 Honda block. The quality of the aluminum used and the tolerance in which each is cast. People will even put a Honda side cover on clones for extra strength. I haven't paid over $50 for any of my gx160s so I'm still cheaper then a predator and 10 times the quality.
Do you have a material spec sheet of the grade aluminum broken down to actually see if it meets any ASTM or ISO specifications. Just curious since people assume it's better b/c of name brand etc..

amen to that :thumbsup::thumbsup:

vwfan79

No specs sheets just real life data of numerous problems with hf castings and inconsistencies and 1 of my Honda gx160s has been modded and beat to hell for 3 years with not one issue.
Tear apart 5 predators and 5 Hondas and start taking measurements of bore, cam clearances and piston to deck height, you find 5 different measurements on the predators and I bet the Hondas are all the same or within .001 of each other.