stuck check valve in tecumseh carb

oldfatguy

I went out and started all the mini bikes to get them ready for some riding time over the holiday. I found that my one h60 wouldn't idle even after cleaning the jet so that meant only one thing ---stuck check ball. I shook the carb and sure enough no rattle. I soaked it over night in gas, sprayed it with carb cleaner. I even sprayed wd40 into the hole the idle mixture screw goes in. Then as a last resort I gave it a few good taps with a plastic hammer and that did the trick and freed up that check ball. I was so happy to hear that rattle as I shook the carb. I put it back on and it's running great again. Just thought that I would pass this along as it might help you save one of your carbs. I did buy a brand new Steens tecumseh carb on e-bay and for some reason it doesn't work I just can't seem to get the engine to run right with it.

Last edited:

MB165

Glad you got it running, it doesnt take much for those to stick. Todays gasoline is crummy stuff, I have had good luck boiling them to loosen them up.

oldfatguy

I heard that boiling them in vinegar helps . I have a few that seem hopeless even after soaking for months in carb cleaner. I'm going to give the boiling a try.