Stumped

Flojet carb on an older 4 HP Briggs. Engine sat for many years. Installed new points and set @ .020 and coil/flywheel @ .010. Rebuilt carb with OEM kit with updated needle and seat. Engine sputters with both adj. @ 1 1/2 turns out. Engine runs beautiful with mixture screw out of carb. :shrug: Help

Thanks! It's a new emulsion tube but very tarnished out of box. I think the kit has been on the shelf for years. Very dusty when he bought it to counter. I think I'm gonna pull whole assembly and clean and blow out again. I'll let you know.

Its a flojet with needle and seat/float. No diaphram or spring. Set the float horizontal with base. Took apart and cleaned. Started 1/2 choke and ran like a champ for 15 min. then pooped out again. uuuugggg!:

The tank wasn't rusty but varnished. It has a beautiful metal fuel line so I hate to relace. Took the carb apart once again and found very fine grit in float bowl. I believe your right. Them cork gaskets shrink once gas evaparates. Hard as anything to get lined back up. Its runs like a champ for45 y.o engine when its runnin LOL

Throttle shaft or shaft bore wears and when carb warms up and expands it sucks air. Also check for air getting in around intake gasket. Get it running and lightly and direcctly spray carb clean at shaft and gasket areas. You'll note a difference immediatly how it runs or no change at all, hopefully, if those arent the problems. A rebuild kit doesn't address these problems and it will still act up. Good Luck! :biggrin::thumbsup:

Checked throttle shaft and appears tight without any slop. I don't believe engine has many running hrs. even though its a very old engine. Carb floods with gas once it stalls out (runs out small vent in air intake where a small foam type vent is). Have had carb apart 5 times and checked needle and seat. Float is at correct level. Have held carb top upside down so needle is seated and blew into fuel inlet and it doesn't leak. Emulsion tube is new and all passeges clear. I have wasted two cans of Gum Out and two compressor cycles of air on every hole and orifice on unit. Govenor is hooked up and appears functioning when ran. Have looked on other forums for flojet problems and have found problems with lean conditions(runs with choke only) but none similar to mine. It will restart @ very low chugging RPM
:glare:

Does the idle fuel screw make a difference? Like screwed all the way out, then screw it all the way in, changes how it is running??

It could be your idle fuel circuit is plugged... If it starts and is chugging, it's probably too rich and needs to leaned out... With the screw COMPLETELY OUT, it's no longer pulling low end fuel, and is actually pulling air through the open hole....

Get your main fuel as great as you can, just about as lean as it can run good and throttle up to a hell of a speed, then back down to a high idle.. up and down VROOM VROOM like a race car... then set the idle speed to the lowest the motor will run, and start playing with your idle fuel screw....

If it starts easy but chugs like hell and won't go it's too rich....

If the screws are all the way out and STILL can't pull fuel you have an air leak of or plugged passage somewhere..

OR make sure the top of the carb is not warped and it's sealing inside.. Those tabs where the screws are in the bowl will bend down from being over tightened.. Then the bowl doesn't seal like it should..

There is a weird shaped little tunnel type piece that slides down into the throat of the lower portion of the carb.. like it goes float bowl, then a tiny little paper gasket, then that tube thing drops down on top of the gasket...

There are a couple little passage ways TINY TINY holes in that tube thing, AND the paper gasket, that all line up when it's assembled...

If your bowl and top half of the carb are not sealed down TIGHT to each other.. you can get a leak at that gasket where the tiny little holes go from... tube - to paper gasket - to the top half of the carb....

and you might be losing vacuum right there and fuel cannot flow as it's supposed to because all of those three or four parts are not pinched tight to each other as they should be.....