stupid 3.5 briggs

Alright well today I was cruising around the yard like I seem to do just about everyday and it ran fine had the neighbor over he drove it fine but it was smoking terribly then later today it started missing and dieing..... well sure enough the pistin rings are shot and then all of sudden there is now no compression. My question is do you think the no compressions issue is just a bad head gasket since this is the first time in many years since its been tooken apart? And also it had compression before I took it apart and now it wont start at all and puff of smoke seems to come out the left side at times so ya. Sorry for me blabbbing on an on but its just stupid I have had 3 briggs now that seem to be having the stupidest things go wrong and the most random time ever.

Thats wat I did I pulled the head and saw oil leaking through the rings but after I put it back together I lost all my compression and won't even start now. And all bolts are tightened to proper torque

Pulling the head is a 10min job, so that's what I would do first to have a look inside. The gasket is usually reusable.
"The gasket is usually reusable."
MAYBE (at best), if it is one of the old metal/asbestos types. If it is one of the newer types, I would not reuse it, as they are typically one time use and get compressed or otherwise damaged. Head gaskets are cheap- put in a new one. Also, true up the (possibly warped) head while you have it off. Do some figure eights on some 600 grit sandpaper on a real flat surface like a sheet of plate glass. Periodically take a look at the head and note the shiny areas- those are your high spots. Keep going just until it is uniform shiny over the entire head surface.
Michael

oldfatguy

with the engine smoking and burning oil it's most likely that you have carbon built up on the valves causing them not to seal. From what you describe with the smoking starting all of a sudden it's probably not ring wear because the smoking would start slowly and gradually get worse . You probably have a bit more serious of a problem like a crack or hole in the piston or maybe a broken piston ring. Are you running it without an air cleaner on the carb ?

Thats wat I did I pulled the head and saw oil leaking through the rings but after I put it back together I lost all my compression and won't even start now. And all bolts are tightened to proper torque
Did you reuse the old head gasket? If so, read my other reply.
Michael

Well I looked again today and I now its the rings for the oil leak. I mean I can clearly see the oil getting in past the rings and its leaking out of the head so it looks like new rings and a new head gasket will be needed. I noticed it was puffing smoke out the head up front and letting gas squirt out so I know its not the valves. I'll be doing the repair on Monday I'll tell you how it goes:thumbsup:

65ShelbyClone

"The gasket is usually reusable."
MAYBE (at best), if it is one of the old metal/asbestos types. If it is one of the newer types, I would not reuse it, as they are typically one time use and get compressed or otherwise damaged. Head gaskets are cheap- put in a new one.
Ironically, the oldest 3hp Briggs I have is from 1964 and it had one of the gaskets that falls apart upon removal. The oldest Briggs I have period is from the mid '50s and it has the same fiber-over-steel type of gasket. All the '70s+ models I have dealt with had the opposite with perforated steel over fiber. Those gaskets don't even stick; they come right off.

Also, true up the (possibly warped) head while you have it off. Do some figure eights on some 600 grit sandpaper on a real flat surface like a sheet of plate glass. Periodically take a look at the head and note the shiny areas- those are your high spots. Keep going just until it is uniform shiny over the entire head surface.
Michael
http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/engines-modifications/52353-how-flat-lapping-cylinder-head.html

Well I looked again today and I now its the rings for the oil leak. I mean I can clearly see the oil getting in past the rings and its leaking out of the head so it looks like new rings and a new head gasket will be needed. I noticed it was puffing smoke out the head up front and letting gas squirt out so I know its not the valves. I'll be doing the repair on Monday I'll tell you how it goes:thumbsup:
If this is a "Koolbore" (Aluminum cylinder wall) engine, it could be that your cylinder wall is excessively worn, tapered, out of round, or all of the above. If that is the case, replacing the rings will be in vain and have no effect whatsoever in correcting your condition. You need to obtain accurate measurements of that bore FIRST.
Michael

buckeye

He's still measuring.:shrug: Or he took his girl out on a date.
Or he's making a cake. Maybe he went fishing?? Might have fixed it and went for a loooooong ride.
Could be several things. Busy.:laugh: