Super Bronc Project

chrisr

A lot of the HM80 that were on the Broncs had a coil used for lights (part of the points/condenser setup) and may already have the flywheel with teeth. The plug on the front of the engine when the engine is running, one is the kill wire, one is DC and the other is typically AC. The AC will work for lights but not recommended for charging the battery. You can get the starter off ebay and you just need 12v DC to the battery and push button start for the starter relay from the parts store. Hope that helps

This may help if you need it (not to be used for point/condenser HM80)
Selling this for Mountain Man George | OldMiniBikes.com

Hey Mcarabajal86, Nice find! Metal gas tank, starter and looks like charging circuit with fuses. Good luck and have fun with your project!
Thanks I was pretty excited to find it too haha. Wasn’t supposed to start working on the bike until beginning of next year but I might have to start earlier! Will post pics of all the goodies I’ve bought so far soon.

Little update. So I moved the bike up to my apartment balcony lol. Got the engine off before off course. So far got the whole rear of the bike disassembled. Have not touched the front yet. Will be taking the sprocket and other brackets to work with me tonight to sandblast while on my “lunch” haha have bought a lot of new parts. When I get the front wheel off I will take the wheels to a tire shop to remove the tires and sandblast those to get powder coated. Were they only originally white? Also does anyone have any leads on some nice shocks? Mines pull out the bottoms think they are shot.

Attachments

Took the sprocket,gas tank bracket,chain tensioner brackets,seat bracket,exhaust muffler bracket and rear wheel axle to work. Sandblasted all but the axle. I polished it a bit with sandpaper. Need to order a fine thread tap as I don’t have any and we didn’t have any at work. Was going to make a new one but this one don’t look bad at all.

Attachments

Triley41395

Started disassembling the front and noticed the front forks that hold the wheel and slide into the main firk assembly are rotted. Anyone have a nice pair?
If you haven't already done it, you need to put some penatrating oil down the top of the handlebars. You might have a very hard time getting the lowers out. You could probably fab up a pair of lowers using the old one as a pattern.

If you haven't already done it, you need to put some penatrating oil down the top of the handlebars. You might have a very hard time getting the lowers out. You could probably fab up a pair of lowers using the old one as a pattern.
I bathed the bike in akroil lol going to most likely have to cut around the lowers without cutting into the coils. They once I have the handle bars out I’ll try to bang the sleeves out from up top. Took some more parts with me to work to sandblast on lunch haha

Lizardking

I remember seeing this bike for sale here in SoCal a couple of times. Big project but looks like you're in it to win it with that Bronc.

I'm with Triley, if you can fab up new lowers then go for it.

Good luck and keep sharing pictures.

I remember seeing this bike for sale here in SoCal a couple of times. Big project but looks like you're in it to win it with that Bronc.

I'm with Triley, if you can fab up new lowers then go for it.

Good luck and keep sharing pictures.
yeah I seen it awhile back before I actually bought it. Was kinda glad guy still had it when I inquired about it. This is nothing compared to what my impala needs haha. I actually contacted Rick Chatten about the lowers and he has new ones in stock. Will be purchasing them as soon as he lets me know price on shipping. Thanks guys!

A little more progress from past 2 nights the little free times I’d have at work. Used the acetylene to heat the clutch for removal. Was a pita but got it off in sections down to the main hub. That I had to cut off the shaft. I left the jackshaft in oil to remove the sprocket and spacer tonight when I go back in. Sandblasted the jackshaft assembly. Plan on chroming it. Sandblasted it along with 1 of the 4 foot pegs. Plan on either sawzawing the old rear tire off or taking it to a tire shop. Already broke it down to take the other piece of the wheel meanwhile.

Attachments

Coming along nicely. Are you protecting your sandblasted parts while they wait for paint/powder/chrome?
Thanks! No I have not done anything to them. Don’t plan for them to sit too long and it’s not too humid here in SoCal should hoping they stay ok. I have gone over the fenders twice. Wanted to break down the front fork assembly before I took parts to powder coat and chrome but will need the acetylene and a hoist to pull the lower assembly unless I cut the bottoms off and get the wheel off like that. Then I can take the forks to work to try and extract the rest of the lowers from the upper. Still debating on which method I will go. Might cut them today only because I won’t be able to take in the fork assembly with the wheel complete into work unless the boss is gone which is rare. Just the forks I can and a wheel at a time I can haha. The one I know will be tough is the one completely rotted. Won’t be back into work until Monday night. Sister is getting married this weekend so party time! Haha