super bronc rear shocks

toomanytoys

i bought some shocks off a surplus site. Can't remember. But they were way too darn stiff! I took them off and put the originals back on. At least with them being soft it helped soften some of the hits

If I can figure how to get mine apart, mine have the lower eye welded on and don't match up with the Betor or Sebac shocks found on other SB's (found this out after doing a search on this site for how to take mine apart). If I can get the shock apart enough to open up the lower tube of the shock, I may start experimenting with adding springs inside the tube to see if I can get the shocks to stiffen up. Depending on how that goes (or doesn't), my next step would be to cut out coils and re-stretch the spring. I would like to keep the OEM look as much as possible, yet stiffen up the shocks since I am a heavier rider.

My last resort will be to order a set of shocks from Treatland.tv. They're more expensive than the set that the surplus/Northern Tool sites carry, but they are the correct size (340mm eye to eye, roughly 13") .

I can't vouch for them that they are stiffer than OEM, but they are at least adjustable and
appear to have a thicker spring than the ones on my SB.

https://www.treatland.tv/xtreme-black-adjustable-shocks-p/xtreme-340mm-black-shocks.htm

These are the Northern shocks, 12" eye to eye is 1" too short, so some kind of adapting would need to be done.

Adjustable Shock Absorbers (sold as a pair) — 13 1/4in. Length | Shocks| Northern Tool + Equipment

Paul

i think it was gumpit who put 12" shocks on his. I sold him a raised seat mount for them. I dont know how stiff they ended up being though

i think it was gumpit who put 12" shocks on his. I sold him a raised seat mount for them. I dont know how stiff they ended up being though
Well I am 350 pounds and with the shocks I put on and the extended mounts from Jeep. It is much stiffer than before. I like it much better. I want to say I bought the cheap shocks that were 730 pound compression or something. I don't know if that was each or probably for the pair. But With the extra height and stiffness I dont worry about bottoming out on the fender or muffler like I did before. I had to change the muffler because of it. I have changed it since this pic was taken.

I think I got them from MFGSUPPLY. I think they are the ones in this link. http://www.mfgsupply.com/gomini/gominisuspension.html

Last edited:
Can anyone explain how to remove the shock spring with out damaging the plastic on the underside of the shock?
I want to sent my springs in to get re-chromed. 20150720_111346.jpg

capguncowboy

Can anyone explain how to remove the shock spring with out damaging the plastic on the underside of the shock?
I want to sent my springs in to get re-chromed. View attachment 75481
Are those Betor shocks?

If they are, you can use a set of hose pliers to hold the plastic bushing while you turn the shock lower loose. The other option is to just take them apart and pick a new set of bushings from BlackWidowMotorSports.net -- They're a little steep, but are identical to the originals

#15212A REAR SHOCK BUSHINGS, 1970-75