Super bronc restoration

Hello all,

This is my new project, a Super bronc (VT-1012?) from the late 70s or early 80s as far as I can tell. It was given to me by a friend, who's garage it had been sitting beside for a looong time. All things considered, its not in bad condition! Before commencing the teardown, I changed the oil, plug, and filters, and it runs just fine. So hopefully no major engine work will be necessary. Basically I stripped it down to the frame and am paying to have it powdercoated...meanwhile, I'm working on everything else.
Other than that...I'll let the pics speak for themselves!

Regards,
Steve

Right after bringing her home

In its natural habitat

Naked frame

Rusty underneath

Paint after performing the rust converter prep

Fender after steel wool

Fender after polish (cat approved)

TC cover before

TC cover after rust converter

Current state of affairs in the garage

Looking good...you picked a good one to redo. A nice finishing touch would be one of Kenney's seats. Good luck, have fun :thumbsup:

that bike has alot of options on it-electric start,trailer hitch,front brake,lights,aux. gas tank,you have almost all the options on it,the clutch cover might be hard to find.

@chatten63: It sure does have a lot of gadgets! hopefully they all come back to life. I actually do have the TC cover, I just removed it to disloge some spiders...
@rpol89: I'm definitely going to look into a new seat; the one that is on it just doesn't work ergonomically
@butch62: thanks! I was excited when I saw how well the polish works

Steve great bike . Look these bikes are good to put clones on then you could sell me the motor LOL . If you need any help just ask we will all help .

buckeye

This is a really nice build. Sure would love for the big brown truck to deliver one of those bad boys to my driveway.
Keep the pics coming. Should be a fun bike to ride.:thumbsup:

Update on the build

Its been getting awfully cold in the garage these days, but I've been putting the hours in as best I can.

Ok, so I really felt like a kid on Christmas getting the frame back from powder coat! It's so purdy.... It cost me $150 for blast and paint, which I count as a good deal for the quality of work, and lack of me having to breath any more toxic dust.

Le engine, after a lot of scrubbing with degreaser and a toothbrush. I also pulled off the recoil assembly and painted the cover. I'm really glad all the decals are intact.

Gas tank after paint. Much better than the old oxidized patina.

This was an adventure. I got the motorcycle shop to pull off the old tires for me when I ordered my new ones, and they said it took them about an hour, due to bad corrosion holding the bead on. Not until I came to get the rims did I realize what they meant. The front wheel looked like it came off of a shipwreck!! And it smelled like old underpants to boot.
Mold and rust, gross! :scared:

All done! What these pics don't show is what it took to get there. I soaked the nasty rim in a diluted solution of Jasco rust primer (phosphoric acid) for a few days. The rust left some bad pitting, but I'm just glad its gone.

Coming together! Front fork back together. By the way, the best way to de-gunk the fork springs turned out to be several rounds of strong spray de-greaser followed by a good pounding at the car wash. Powwahh!

And new tires, which are much more tire-like than the old ones.

I've got Kenny working on a seat for me, its gonna look awesome! I can't wait to ride this machine